1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Guitar Through Bass Amp and/or Cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by flon_klar, Apr 5, 2006.

1. flon_klar

flon_klar

Feb 25, 2006
    Salt Lake City
    Hey All-

Does anyone know if there's any reason NOT to play guitar through equipment designed to have bass played through it? I've always wondered...

2. gwx014

gwx014

Dec 22, 2005
    I don't know if there is a specific reason not to, but I remember reading somewhere that Keith Richards used an Ampeg SVT and Ampeg 8x10 cab in 1969 and 1972 to tour with.

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    it's been talked about before....

A few guys here use their bass rigs dual purpose. I've gigged with a cover band playing guitar through my old bass rig with zero issues.

the only real difference is the eq sections are suited to bass and the cabinets tune a bit lower. I just ran mine mostly flat with a little bass roll off and a Boss multi effect unit in front of it.

4. flon_klar

flon_klar

Feb 25, 2006
    Salt Lake City
    Thanks, I appreciate the input. I figured the lower tuning of the cabs would be the biggest issue, I was just hoping there wouldn't be any kind of destructive frequency issues with the speakers themselves. Sounds good.

5. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    There is no reason not too. Aside from it probably sounding a bit crappier.

6. flon_klar

flon_klar

Feb 25, 2006
    Salt Lake City
    Cool, thanks for that as well.

7. BFISHER1970

BFISHER1970 Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2005
    Pensacola, Florida
    I used to play my telecaster through a Fender studio bass 200 watt all tube combo with a 15" It sounded awesome!

8. WarThumb

WarThumb

Dec 13, 2005
    Norway
    But a guitar through a 4x10 100 watt guitar amp is loud.. How loud will it be through a 4x10 1200 watt Kustom Groove bass?

9. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    I have run my Ovation Celebrity through my old Ibanez SW65 bass amp live and it was ok. Bass amps work ok for acoustc / electric but sound really crappy with straight electric guitars They just aren't tuned for electric guitars.

You certainly won't hurt anything other than your guitar tone by running through a bass amp.

10. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    My guitarist has been using my EV 215 with his 412 for most of our gigs (its a ton to lug around :meh: ) and it sounds pretty good. The tone he gets is great. However, playing guitar through my Bergantino cabs sounds pretty terrible...

11. I was playing my epi SG through my SVT and 2x15 and it sounded great, only really for clean tho, was too scared to crank it to OD in the bedroom ;)

What i did do was run the guitar into my peavey classic then the FX send to the input of my SVT, and that sounded amazing! totally drowned out the combo's speaker, but, that was to be expected and it was a really huge sounding guitar . . . erm. . . sound :ninja:

12. Tired_Thumb

Tired_Thumb Guest

No issues, as if the point isn't clear already. I do quite a bit of guitar like chording with a muff ahead of the amp, and it works fine. I do quite a bit of "faking" downtuned guitars on the bass guitar (drop G or Drop Bb as examples), and a bass amp and cab really come in handy for that also.