Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

guitar through bass amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by theotherpete, May 25, 2002.

1. theotherpete

theotherpete

Apr 19, 2002
    GR, MI
    is there any potential risk with using a guitar through my bass amp?

i have a hartke 3500 with an ampeg svt-410hlf cab.

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You'll be OK with that. It might even sound good. Maybe even REAL good. The danger is in playing a bass through a guitar rig.

3. BassPlayerGush

BassPlayerGush

Sep 23, 2001
    PA
    i was thinking of buying a standard strat from my friend real cheap because he gave up playing, will it deffinitly run through my ampeg 4vbh and 15" sub classic cab?

4. Yes it will. Ampeg sold the V4 as a guitar amp as well as a bass amp. The 15 might be a bit bassy. So turn the lows down.

5. My particular rig is just fine for guitar. I bi-amp a pair of JBL E110 (guitar) speakers with 15" subwoofers. Playing a guitar through my rig simply puts most of the signal into the JBLs which are designed for lead guitar anyway.

6. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    I like your name. Its very... argyle ;)

Yeah, guitar is good through a bass amp. It gives you a certain sound known as the "brown tone" which many guitarists love. Why do you think so many guitarists list the Fender Bassman as one of their all-time favorite amps?

Go for it!!