guitar through bass amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 87octane_, Sep 30, 2002.

1. 87octane_

87octane_ Guest

Jul 18, 2001
    Sumner, IL
    I just got a new Ampeg BA-115, and since I paid quite a bit for it, I don't want to damage it. Therefore, I was wondering if it would be hard on the amp to play my 6 string guitar through the amp, as well as my bass. If it is, I'll hafta dish out some extra dough for a practice guitar amp.
  2. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Whats a 6 string guitar? anyway, your best bet is to shell out the money. You can. but the speakers are NOT designed for it. if you play with to many highs on the bass amp, it's going to harm them or if it's to loud. vice versa.
  3. I read horror stories aplenty about what happens to guitar speakers when a bass is played through them, but I've never heard about any problems playing guitar through a bass amp. The bass driver isn't designed to reproduce high frequencies, but I don't think it's going to die trying, it just won't sound real great is all. The BA115 has a piezo tweeter in it if I remember correctly and I doubt you're going to hurt that thing with a guitar. I don't think you have anything to worry about.
  4. Yeah I agree with Mudbass on this one. Someone clever come and reassure us, please?
  5. Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    Some guitarist do even like bass amps for punchy and ultra-clean sound...
    Distortion through a tweeter can sound unpleasant though.
    Try and see if you like it. You won't damage anything.

6. Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    BTW I didn't post the above because I think I'm clever ;)
    Just wanted to tell you that I've seen and heard guitarists playing through bass amps.
  7. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    OK, ,so I'm not clever about guitars either, but some of my other band members are... :)

Playing guitar in the bass amp won't hurt it, but it will not sound very good.

A bass amp is more like a PA - clean sound and a lot of headroom - and it's most of the time designed not to distort. So you can get a very clean and punchy guitar sound, too clean actually. You don't want to overdrive the bass amp as you do a guitar amp though. My friend is using a bass combo as stage monitor and a small powered mixer/PA as guitar amp, but that's because he plays guitar through a Line6 POD. So all the guitar amp modeling, distorsion etc is done there, and he wants the whole sound to come out as is, not coloured by a guitar amp.
  8. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    You won't hurt your bass amp by playing guitar through it.

I use a Behringer Vamp 2 for guitar and run the output into my bass amp (actually I feed my bass preamp's output and the Vamp's outputs into a mixer which feeds the power amp and then my bass cabinets...but it doesn't need to be that complicated). It sounds great, as the Vamp 2 has speaker emulation on-board so the signal is completely processed.

Since the speaker's tone shaping is taken into account, distortion sounds good and not at all harsh (kind of like playing a recording of a distorted guitar back through your stereo).

Vamp 2's are pretty inexpensivetoo (like $140 at GC or thorough, and the amp models are awesome...

Have fun!
  9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well - that was worth saying - haven't we all?
  10. Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    So far about my cleverness.
    I edit the original post...