guitar through bass amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by phunky345, Nov 13, 2000.

1. phunky345

Jun 20, 2000
    Missoula, MT
    Does anybody else think it sounds awesome to play death metal guitar through a bass amp? My friend corey plugged his guitar and zoom 505 into my 410 and it was amazing. The highs screamed, the mids were there enough, and unlike with some guitar amps, you could FEEL the low end. That's just my religious experience. I'm thinking about buying an Ibanez gax70 to mess around with now...
  2. MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    The original Fender Bassman was designed as a bass amp, it became a guitar player's favorite.
  3. I saw a band called "Local H" at my former hometown,Norfolk,VA. The guitarist had a full stack of eight twelves,probably Marshalls and an Ampeg eight ten cab(If I'm not mistakened).His sound was so thick and beefy.What's really amazing is that they were a 2 piece band live even though they had a full set up in the studio.I know you'll have a good time with a rig like that.
  4. ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    I've used my Hartke 3500 to run my Fender acoustic guitar through! With the right EQ settings, it gets the job done and sounds great, too.

Probably not the sound that most acoustic players go for, but it's WAY easier than carting 2 amps to a gig.

5. Bryan_G

Apr 28, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Does the distortion hurt the drivers? I've thought about buying an electric guitar, but didn't want to shell out the cash for a new amp or ruin my bass amp.

6. I got very very good results with my mix of guitar and bass amps. I stacked my Fender champion guitar amp (eq set flat, and distortion always on, gain set around 4-6) then below that, i have my peavey basic 112 bass amp on the bottom (cut the low's a bit, left the mid's flat, and boosted the highs a bit) i have my fender MIM Strat go in to my morely A/B switch, and A goes into the Fender amp, and B goes into the Peavey. for clean, i have it on b and only b. Sounds very good, (esp. for palm muting, it gives me the low's that i could never get from the fender amp alone.) then when i want distortion, i kick the "A and B" button on, where i get the distortion from the fender, but dont loose any of my lows from the bass amp. it has done wonders for my "guitar" rig. not only do i increase my volume level (to about 80watts, from 30) but i gain low's that i never could get with the fender alone. i am very satisfied.
  7. Not quite on topic, but Dusty Hill of ZZTop uses guitar amps and speaker cabs for bass. So does Lemmy.
  8. phunky345

Jun 20, 2000
    Missoula, MT
    I don't think the distortion hurts bass speakers, because you can distort bass just fine. I think bass speakers are almost the same thing as guitar speakers but are more able to move(with low frequencies). I bet a cab with a 5" horn would sound crappy and painful with guitar though, cause it would just shreak. I just like having 200 watts of guitar, it's way more intense than a 60-watt guitar combo, and you can hear it clear down the street. Then you don't hear anything for days.