Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

guitar through bassamp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bandkindbass, May 2, 2003.

1. bandkindbass

bandkindbass

Feb 13, 2003
    Oslo, Norway
    I've read about this issue on talkbass before, but i couldn't find it again. Searching for the words guitar and bassamp gives a little to many hits.

Here is my question:

Does it harm my bassamp or cabinets when i run a guitar through the rig? It sounds great, but I don't want to destroy any thing. The amp shouldn't bother i believe, but do the high tones bother the cabs?

2. WASHBURNGUY

WASHBURNGUY

Dec 28, 2002
    if you keep at a moderate volume level shouldnt hurt it at all..and you said you already tryed it..i could care less if one of my guitarists ran threw my stack .....of course Bass speakers are tuned way lower hz than guitar speakers (where the cool sound imho comes from when ran with guitar i also like it iv tryed it hehe )bass are usually . 30hz to 5-8khz guitar speakers (high end ) are like i belive 80hz to 12000khz so ya wont get those highs but makes a guitar sound wicked hehe

im sure someone more experienced will give there 2 cents

3. I'm still thinking about the idea of playing hi-gain guitar through my bass-cabinet... I'm a little scared that I'll hurt the speakers :) :rolleyes:

4. WASHBURNGUY

WASHBURNGUY

Dec 28, 2002
    yeah i wouldnt want any dimebag darrell licks ran threw my cabs either..that could hurt em...but as far as rythem death crunch drop D that is sweet

5. There's no danger in running guitar trough basscabinets. Bass speakers are much more powerfull and will take anything that comes at them, much like pa-grade speakers. And guitarcabinets don't go as high as 12000 hz, maybe 3000 as they don't have a highfrequency aspect. It probably won't be as loud though, as guitarspeakers are more efficient(and lacking in lows...).

6. It wont hurt anything whatsoever. My brother practices guitar through my backup rig. It just sounds bassier and fatter. Try it.. crank it... do whatever. A speaker doesnt think at all, doesnt say "self... this is not a bass, but a guitar... SELF DESTRUCT" it just tries to reproduce what sinewave comes in. If it cant go as high frequency wise as the guitar.. then you wont hear it.

:D:D

Merls

7. Guitar amp = Rototiller
    Bass amp = Bulldozer

You can't hurt a bulldozer plowing a gardin.

8. Post of the week.

9. bandkindbass

bandkindbass

Feb 13, 2003
    Oslo, Norway
    thanks for the quick answers. I will let my guitarist use my backup-rig until she gets a decent guitaramp herself.

tore

10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

That'll probably be a good incentive, as nearly every guitarist I've met, hates the sound of their guitar through a decent bass amp - too clean and clear - shows up all their mistakes!! ;)

11. lol lol lol :D :D :D

hehe, funny remark

hmz, next week I'll hook up my SansAmp PSA-1 through the poweramp of my SVT-3. I'm gonna play some fine death metal tunes with my BC Rich through the basscabs... hopefully it'll turn out good

:bassist:

metaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaal!

12. bandkindbass

bandkindbass

Feb 13, 2003
    Oslo, Norway
    The Bassman 100 sound very good when I use a 2x10 + 1x15 cabs, even a guitarplayer can here that. But through my 2x15 it gets kind of muddy. I use the bassman myself, so she have to stick with the swr 220 with 2x10 + 1x15. It takes away some of the highs, but nobody misses them. Even if all her mistakes gets out she is pleased to use the swr instead of the old carvin solidstate that is the option.

have a nice weekend.

tore

13. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    If your amp/cab has a tweeter, it would sound bad with a distorted guitar signal...unless you have something with speaker emulation in it.

At home I plug a Behringer Vamp2 into my bass rig. Since the Vamp2 is an amp/cabinet modeler its speaker emulation filters the high end. The result is pretty impressive...it sounds great.

Nothing like some humbucker/mesa chunk (with stereo effects) though a PLX 2402, some 10s, 12s and 15s :bassist:

:D

14. cjgallen

cjgallen

Oct 19, 2001
    If your cab has a tweeter TURN IT OFF before putting distorted guitar through it. I'm pretty sure that's what destroyed one of my tweeters.

15. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    GreyBeard you ROCK!!! :bassist: :D :p