1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Guitar to Bass Amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Amitio, Apr 19, 2006.

1. Can you plug a normal 6 string electric guitar into a bass amp?

I know people have said you shouldnt do it the other way round bass into guitar amp, but what about this way?

2. Hyde

Hyde

Mar 30, 2006
    Yeah, as far as I know you can. It probably won't sound great, but I don't think it should hurt anything. I mean, wasn't the Bassman originally a bass amp?

3. Derakh

Derakh

Jan 18, 2005
    You can, it just normally wont sound too great, very muddy and muffled. The majority of bass amps just aren't made to handle the high frequencies of a traditional electric guitar.

4. You can, and can sound pretty good (ive run my SG into my ampeg running a 4x10 + 2x15 rig, and it sounded good!)

The reason you shouldnt the other way around is that bass frequencies require the speaker to push out further, this is why bass amps are more powerful, because it takes more power to move the speaker out, and guitar cab speakers are not designed to move out as far as bass guitar cab speakers

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yep, but it may not sound good. I personally like a Strat through a Vox T-60 bass amp.

6. Yes, but the sound comes out an octave lower.

7. walkerci

walkerci

Mar 7, 2006
    Orlando, FLA
    I plugged my son's Strat into my Eden WT head and it sounded real nice. The Cabs are Avatar B410 Neo and B212 Neo.
    The treble was a bit weak, but otherwise it was good.

8. Erm, where did you imagine this from?

- Will