1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

guitar to bass

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by anth202, Oct 27, 2009.

1. anth202

anth202

Oct 27, 2009
    hello, ive been playing electric guitar for 10 years. Ive recently just purchased a bass to learn on (washburn xb120). When I record a phrase or loop on the computer I find that sometimes some of the notes can sound out of tune. I don't think it is the bass because this has happened to me ages ago when I used my friends bass. Because I am a guitar player, im using a pick for now. Maybe I am hitting the string too hard with the pick or fretting the note too hard? Can anyone give me any advice?

2. Revvv

Revvv

Oct 31, 2007
    Georgia
    How high is the action on the bass?

Has the bass been set up and is the intonation correct?

The notes should be dead on, not out of tune.

3. hyp.spec

hyp.spec Supporting Member

May 14, 2006
    Warren, MI
    Make sure the bass is set up, and make sure you are fretting the bass properly.

I often see guitar players that place their fingers exactly between frets, which is not the proper way, at least on bass.

On a bass, you want your fingers just behind the fret, not in the middle.

You could also be bending the string unintentionally, or even you could be attacking the strings with your pick a little too hard.

4. hayngman

hayngman

Aug 20, 2002
    Wise County, TX
    Hook up to a tuner...Sound your 12th fret harmonic and then sound the fretted note. If they're not the same, your intonation is off.

5. Try just your fingers - forget the pick. The bass strings have to be muted or it all becomes a mess of sustained notes and yes you do not have to pick the strings with a lot of force, light touch is best - let your amp do the work. As mentioned you fret just behind the fret, some say on top of the fret. It's not the same as our 6 string.

Here is an easy way to mute and a good way to use your fingers. Yes all us old guitar pickers want to use a pick it's comfortable, but, IMHO something we should not be doing. Try and break this habit.

I think where you fret and muting the strings will be a great help.

Have fun.

6. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    Here's a link to an online tuning website if that might help: Online bass tuning

You also might want to try some cool software that allows you to adjust the pitch: BestPractice-free, easy to use, slow downer/pitch shifter/looper/vocal remover/bass backing track maker

Also, there are some cool TB threads that may help out your bass learning journey in my sig. below.

Btw, I played with a pick for since day one and never had any complaints. I suggest you do what's comfortable for you and add new stuff as you go. Only recent added playing by finger.

Good luck.