1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

guitar to bass

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by autumn_spirit_1, Dec 28, 2011.

1. autumn_spirit_1

autumn_spirit_1

Dec 26, 2011
    im a former guitar player making the switch to bass and im already realizing there are some big differnces in the amp department. to gig as a guitar player a 4x12 is the standard if not 2 4x12's. and on here im being adivised to settle for a 2x10 for my bass rig. i was wondering if there are other surprises i should know about?

2. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    It really depends on what you're using and your band. For my current project, I don't even take a single cab to my gigs. Some people need an 8x10 to get by.

3. cchorney

cchorney Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Meriden, CT
    It really depends on how well your band manages it sound levels. Some guitar players need it at crazy loud levels to feel like they are making music, some have too powerful for the room tube rigs that maybe need a certain volume to achieve the preamp overdrive sound they are looking for, if you are dealing with either of those get yourself an in-ear monitor for yourself and plug into the PA. Its a war you will go broke trying to win.

FWIT, for the band I play with, in small to medium venues, I have no problem keeping up with my Markbass CMD102P, which is a 210 combo. I do put it on a stand and have it sideways so the drivers are vertically aligned, but that's more for me to be able to hear it than the audience. Larger stages and larger venues I go thru the PA.

If you want to get into a volume war your hearing aid retailer will be the only real victor. Good luck.

4. Here is a short list:
    • solid state is OK to embrace :)
    • buy used gear on TB at half price and then trade your way into something you love
    • narrow spacing might be easier on 5 and 6 string basses when coming from guitar
    • neo cabs are light so you can get multiple light cabs to adapt to different venues
    • micro heads are tiny and light so you can have a real backup sitting in your gig bag

have fun! :bassist:

5. Oh - and keep a nice solid DI and mic cable in your gig bag for when everything breaks but there is a PA :)

6. autumn_spirit_1

autumn_spirit_1

Dec 26, 2011
    i never even thought about D.I.'s... i guess ill have to look into those to.

7. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    two 4x12s for guitar is WAY overpowered round this way! :)

the usual formula is, you need approx. 10 x the power amplifying bass compared whatever the guitar(s) in your band are using. this varies wildly of course, depending on lots of factors.

bear in mind this doesn't always translate into a direct wattage equation.

read around the stickies at the top of the forum for more and better info :)

8. klokker

klokker

Jan 7, 2009
    Steele City, NE
    Don't "settle" for a 2x10. There are lots of set ups out there that might be better for what you want. A 4X10 is pretty standard as well. I run a 2X12 that I think is super. Limiting yourself to a certain speaker configuration is a big mistake.

9. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    The 412's, or worse yet, multiple 412's is part of the genesis of the term "gui****".:p

Don't take it personally, but from a technical standpoint those things are a horrible design and haven't had any real use since the 60's when there was no PA equipment like we have nowdays.

My guitar player uses one as well, but keeps it way low, stage volume is sane.

Anyway, more on that later. Welcome to the bass. (some of us are closet guitar hacks and just won't admit it). As said, some guys can gig with 210's, some need 8, it all depends on your situation. Plenty of folks willing to help out here.

10. PaulDouglas

PaulDouglas

Jan 29, 2009
    Uxbridge, MA
    I use an Ampeg BA-115 or a BA-115HP.
    P-Bass or a Schecter. I get all the drive and Bottom Feeding I ever want.
    We play the Blues and Southern Rock style. You don't need those big ol' 810's anymore. Any 10 year old PA (or newer) will project you quite nicely.

I'm an Ex-guitar but I recovered about 10 years ago and play 99% bass now. Rhythm and harmonies is where it's at

11. autumn_spirit_1

autumn_spirit_1

Dec 26, 2011
    but dont most amp heads have a D.I. built in? or should i look at something else?

12. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Most of them do, yes. Quality may vary but most all are at least ok. Some soundguys will take your amps DI, others will want to use their own box just because they're familiar with/know what to expect.

It also keeps them from dealing with post-eq DI's, meaning whatever adjustment you do on your amp also get fed to FOH, so they have to figure out what you did and "un-do" it. Sound out there always sounds nothing like it does on stage and the same eq settings will not work in both places.

13. PaulDouglas

PaulDouglas

Jan 29, 2009
    Uxbridge, MA
    Not that sort of D.I.
    Check out Tech 21 Sans Amp drivers.
    The D.I. we are speaking of is a stomp box. Most can be used to suppliment your Bas-to-rig sound or; like he said...if the head blows, you can run Bass-to-PA direct (Direct In). Lot's of bands are going to D.I.s with NO AMPs on the stage

14. ^^Yes. A lot of amps will have the ability to send the signal to FOH before or after the preamp settings. Check for a Pre/Post switch.

Both Pre & Post have their advantages:
    PRE - allows you to send a clean signal to the desk for the mixer to get the best house sound. If you need dramatic EQs to solve strange stage sounds on stage this will not go FOH.
    POST - You get to send "your tone" to FOH.

15. autumn_spirit_1

autumn_spirit_1

Dec 26, 2011
    this place seems pretty helpful so far. i was on some manufaturer forums and they were no help at all. and the ibanez forums are the worst. they will cuss you out and talk so much **** for naming another company.

so as far as bass vs guitar. how do tubes play into the bass world. i know with guitar its tubes tubes and more tubes. but it seems like its more SS amps here for bass. i was looking at the little mark tube or the new randy jackson. but i dont know if i should be looking at something else or if tubes even matter like they do with guitar.

16. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    I love tube amps, but here, they are not the "must have" of the guitar world. Plenty of good, warm sounding SS and a whole lot of hybrids (tube preamp coupled to SS poweramp).

17. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Manufacturers forums are more of a fanclub for the brand. Here is everybody. Seasoned pro's, weekend warriors, young guys who got their first bass last week, guys who've been playing for 50 years, etc.

18. autumn_spirit_1

autumn_spirit_1

Dec 26, 2011
    im learning alot here. thank you all

19. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    There are lots of guys that love tubes, but all the new micro heads are definitely the rage. Tube heads are big and heavy, micro heads are light and small and some of them do very similar to a tube head (Mesa Walkabout and Genz Streamliner just to name a few). Light and small usually wins...

If you're going to be going up against guys using two 4X12's, you're going to want more than a 2X10. If it were me, I'd be looking at 4X12's, 6X10's, and 8X10's.

20. autumn_spirit_1

autumn_spirit_1

Dec 26, 2011
    i was looking at 4x10 and 1x15 with a mark bass head. still dont know what head tho. been looking at the little mark III, mark tube, and the randy jackson. i like the little mark tube tho. it has a blend knob for tube or solid state. and comes in either 500 or 800 watts.