1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Guitar "tops" for bass amp rig?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Crockettnj, Jul 27, 2007.

1. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    Anyone using guitar cabs as "tops" in biamped setups?

Do you obtain useful dostorted tones or just blown drivers?

Do you use a crossover? If so, at what freq?

Sealed or open cabs?

2. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Mount Prospect, IL
    I am not currently using this technique, but I have tried it and it works great.

500hz to 4khz is the main range for good distortion tones - from my experiences. Any disotrtion above 5khz, sounds awful, beware!

Setup a crossover at around 500hz and feed the 500hz and up signal to the guitar head and guitar cab - everything below 500hz, put through the bass cab and amp.

Sealed and open cabs - use what sounds good to your ears.

For simplicity on my rig, I use a Tech 21 XXL Bass Edition distortion box through my rig with the tweeters turned off. May not be the most versatile pedal, but the sound is exactly what I wanted. There isn't another pedal out there can get the sound of this unit - I have tried at least 30 different pedals and pre-amps.....the XXL kills them all.

3. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    I've tried it and it's pretty cool. Ported speakers seem to work best and a crossover point of 400hz or higher works well. The best sound that I have hear in my experiments like this is running an actual guitar amp and bass amp at the same time. An ashdown setup next to a fender twin reverb is damn sweet but, the fender is heavy and doesn't like to be thrown into the back of a truck at 3am at -20 degrees F after a gig. Thats the only problem. An amp like the fender or 70's ampeg v-4 have a certain high end sound that really works for bass through 12" guitar speakers. Bass amps arent' voiced the same way and you can't really get the same sound. I know, I've tried many times. I have been thinking that a guitar speaker with a high pass filter in front of it at around 400 hz plus a tweeter with a regular crossover could get you pretty close when using a regular bass head though. I have never heard of anyone doing that.

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    my current cabs are 1x18" and 2x10" (in one box.. 18" ported & the 10's sealed). The 10" are cast frame guitar type. They are crossed over at 500Hz and work great with my tube head and stomp boxes.

I'm switching to a 1x18" cab and separate 2x12" set up and might cross them @ 400 - 500Hz again.

5. I use an Ampeg V4 into an Omni-12 cabinet (8" mid + 12" slot-loaded horn). Sounds ok to me. I was thinking about using a B-12 (50 watt Ampeg amp) as a mid range with the V4 as a bass amp if I ever go biamp. The bottom I currently use is passively crossed over at 500hz. It's a Bill Fitzmaurice design I built myself. -Tp