Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Guitar trio

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by hjallis, Mar 16, 2005.

1. hjallis

hjallis

May 16, 2001
    Hi! I play bass in a guitar trio, we play background music at restaurants and so. Easy listening jazz standards. But we need some inspiration to evolve somewhat, so i was wondering if anyone could recommend some great recordings with jazz trios who play standard jazz. I have a Jim Hall trio CD that i love, but if anyone else know of some other great guitar, bass and drums trios that would be great. Thank you!

2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    There's probably something cool out there from John Scofield. Try to find a copy of "SLO SCO" and do some of those songs!

3. JohnBarr

JohnBarr

Mar 19, 2004
    Central NY
    Here's an unusual one that I suspect you'll like.
    the trio is Peter Erskine (d), Michael Benita (DB) and Nguyen Le (g). The CD title is ELB
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0001ENXWW/qid=1111004510/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/002-3782923-7255259

Le is a Vietnamese guitarman who brings Jimi Hendrix sensibilities to slow burning jazz groves. Erskine sure needs no intro. Benita is well known in Europe but a stranger on these shores. Too bad, because he is a great musician. This is some of the best guitar trio stuff I've heard in years (and I love guitar trios). I suspect one or two songs would be good set pieces and I can guarentee you'll love the rest.

You could check out Steve Khan, especially Let's Call This or Headline (Anthony Jackson or Ron Carter appearing on bass) Lyrical, straight ahead stuff, but Steve has a strong Latin side that he keeps restrained on these two. I suspect much of those two CDs would help you stretch and also please the crowd.

John Abercrombie has done a lot of trio stuff, but the trio with Erskine and Marc Johnson may come closest to what you are looking for. The Gateway trios lean to fusion.

Check out Bill Frisell with Dave Holland and Elvin Jones. It's more subtle than it sounds at first. Though it may be too quirky for your setting.

--I should add that all of these guys are considered jazz players (though that's a dangerous label for Frisell) but they worlds away from Jim Hall. Pat Metheney has more in comon with him (They did a duet CD). Pat has a couple trio CDs out, per the following post.

I hope one of these proves useful.
    In any case it sounds like you've got a nice gig going there. Good luck.

John

OK, one more: Out of sheer perversity I'll mention Terje Rypdal's two trio CDs on ECM with Miroslav Vitous and Jack DeJohnette. Though the tunes would probably get you fired and if they didn't, what he does on Karta certainly would. But you might enjoy the CDs in any case.

4. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    These are both terrific records if you aren't familiar with them, the first being the classic Pat Metheny/Jaco/Bob Moses trio record. All the tunes are in the Real Book 5th edition and they're all great. They're standards, but with more modern harmonies...typically plyaed latin.

The second is a recent live trio recording with Metheny and double bassist Larry Grenadier. Lots of standards and Pat originals. It's also terrific. Pat Metheny Trio Live -- it's a double CD album.

If you're into more modern stuff, I'd recommend Allan Holdsworth's All Night Wrong (guitar trio record, fusion), anything by Kurt Rosenwinkel, anything by Wayne Krantz (can download that stuff at Waynekrantz.com)

Will

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Wes Montgomery? "Five On Four" would be cool to tackle.
    Grant Green(Matador)
    Pat Martino(Footprints, Consciousness, etc...)
    Geogre Benson(just about anything up to Breezin')
    Kenny Burrell(God Bless The Child, etc)

I agree with the Steve Khan jazzier trio stuff...in addition, to Let's Call This & Headline, there's also Crossings & Got My Mental. Khan does some happenin' takes on Jazz Standards & Jazz Classics; he seems to like doing Wayne Shorter & Monk tunes, too.

More 'electric' is Andy Summers' The Last Dance Of Mr. X...the whole album is full of Jazz Classics. Summers also has albums dedicated to Monk(Green Chimneys) & Mingus (The Blue_________? ...drawing a blank on the exact name).

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    What's the name of that crazy, outside tune on Disc_2, I think?
    Sounds like Ornette on acid. That oughta go over well for the dinner crowd.
    ;)

7. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    Joe Beck "fingerpainting" has some nice fretless electric bass.

Jimmy Bruno Trio has some nice stuff too.