guitar tube head?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by steve-o, Aug 14, 2003.

1. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    ihave a 100 watt guitar tube head..its a crate..would i be able to use this as a bass head at shows....ith out damaging the head?

it would be used with bass cabs...i just love the tube sound...and i have this around it would be nice

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Hey Steve,I don't think it would damage anything... but may not be loud enough. I use a guitar tube head as my practice rig. I'll jam with it once I get it overhauled and new Weber drivers for my cabinets

3. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    no problem. actually a 100 watt tube head can get pretty friggin' loud with an efficient cab. The main diff between guitar and bass head like the Sunn above is in the tone control voicing and the addition of reverb, sometimes not even the voicing. Most tube heads, especially old ones are fussy about output impedance. For instance on some older Marshalls you have to pull out a 'doo-hickey' on the back of the chassis and re-insert it in another position to go from 8 to 4 ohms. Do check that out and be sure that you have a good match between the head and the cab 'cause you can fry things unless!
  4. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    yup it has a switch for 8 ohms or 4 ohms
    it will be both so ill make sure that it is switched right

thanks guys..i can't wait to try it out!!!