guitar tubed amps for bass?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by azsfcsh, Oct 10, 2005.

1. azsfcsh

May 31, 2005
    Gilbert Arizona
    Is it possible to run a guitar tubed amp for bass? I have found it to be cheaper to get an all tubed guitar amp, so if i can run it for bass, it would really be good. Would it sound good, or would it be really distorted like a guitar sometimes is? I dont mind it being a little distorted, like the SVT, but if its completely like a guitar, then i dont think its worth it. But if i can run it with bass, just let me know.
  2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan

its fine.... sounds cool.

some metal bassists use marshal JCM heads...
  3. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    You will get distortion really fast. But you should try it. It sounds unique, and some bassists like it.
  4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Most tube guitar amps are only 100 Watts or less.

Most tube bass heads are 200 watts or more.

There is a reason for that. Bass requires more power to get the same clean volume, and most bassist prefer a clean sound so once you start getting distortion its no good.

That being said, I love the sound of my Ampeg V4 (not V4B) cranked and screaming for mercy as a bass head.
  5. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I have heard of a few bassist that have used Marshall JCM800's with pretty good results. Go try some out but make sure you run it through a bass cab.

I have been wanting to try out one of the Ashdown 180 watt all tube Fallen Angel heads but no one around here stocks Ashdown. :(
    [​IMG] likey...alot!
  6. azsfcsh

May 31, 2005
    Gilbert Arizona
    I was thinking about getting the Crate Blue Voodoo, the one that is 300 watts. There is one on ebay, and i know one of my friends that has one, that doesnt want it anymore. 300watts, is probably enough, but for guitar, i think thats way too much....
  7. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Demo your buddies amp then you can tell us. ...and thinking that 300 watts is too much for guitar...sound thinking IMO...
  8. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I use an old Sunn 60-watt guitar head for bass, and it sounds lovely. It's overdriven as hell, but I love it. There are some clips in my sig, the quality isn't the greatest, but it should give you a general idea.