Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Guitar tuning

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by GDAE, Dec 1, 2002.

1. GDAE

GDAE

Aug 14, 2001
    Iowa
    I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this question, but it's the best fit I can find here. How do you figure out what guitar tuning would work well with a given bass tuning? Like, if I'm playing
    C-G-C-F, what guitar tuning would work best with it? My band is wanting to experiment with alternate tunings, but none of us really know a whole lot about it so any other help on the subject would also be appreciated. Thanks.

2. General Instruction would have been the best forum for this.

Anyway to your question - the best gutiar tuning would be tuning every string one step down except the low "E" string which should be tuned 2 steps down. should look like CGCFAD. Also, if you plan on staying in this tuning for a while, you may want to get thicker string gauges.

3. GDAE

GDAE

Aug 14, 2001
    Iowa
    OK, thanks. I don't think I'll be playing with this tuning a whole lot, but just in case, what gauge strings would I need?

4. I believe that there was a formula for what you need. If you take your current string gauge and add .04 for every half step you go down. So if you are used to your E-string being at 1.00, then if you get a 1.16 gauge it should feel just as tight as your former tuning. Get what I mean?

5. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Greetings GDAE,

I suppose it would depend on the song and the skill of the guitarist. He might not even need to retune at all, depending on the complexity of the song.

This is kind of a tricky question, since none of us know what kind of thing you are doing.

I will move this thread on to the gurus in General Instruction.

Michael Manring has done a fair amount of stuff with alternate tunings - you might want to check his forum also.

Have a nice day :)