Guitar vs Bass vs Lead bass

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Jessestr, Aug 21, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Jessestr

Jessestr

Aug 16, 2017
    Hi

I'll try to keep it short. Main thing is I mostly want to play stoner/doom rock/metal. I play the guitar as well (much longer then bass). Always when I was hearing to fat, low bass riffs in stoner/doom music I wanted to play bass too. Long story short, I bought a bass but I'm thinking if it's possible if in a later stage play the bass more in a "lead" way, bring up the treble and mids a little, kick in distortion and play higher up the neck.

So I still have the feel of playing lead but on bass. Is it done? N.I.B. of Black Sabbath is one of those songs where bass feels like a lead or For Whom The Bell Tolls (not stoner ofc)..

Would like to hear opinions, ideas, ..
    Thanks!

NoiseNinja likes this.
  2. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    Check out some youtube featuring the John Entwistle "Little Manhattan" rig, might be just the sound yer looking for!

Jessestr likes this.
  3. craigie

craigie

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
    Good idea. Then you will realize "these high up the neck notes would sound better if I use thinner strings and I'll be able to bend better." then you'll think "I should have 6 strings". "Why don't I tune them EADGBE?" "these thin strings will work better if I use a shorter scale length".... ;);););):woot:

4. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    How about sn octave pedal for your guitar? Also, add a bass cab and an adjustable HPF to your pedal board. That should do it
    :)

5. Torrente Cro

Torrente Cro

Sep 5, 2013
    Croatia
    Problem with lead bass is that there is no support bass, and it usually sounds thin.

eJake likes this.
  6. equill

equill

Nov 25, 2010
    Madrid
    It's not done often, but Peter Hook mostly played lead bass for New Order. So yes, it certainly has been done.
    Then again, I've long thought that Steve Harris essentially plays lead guitar on a Precision, and that Iron Maiden could really use a bassist, so there's that, too :)

Torrente has a point, but that issue can be worked around with either a sequencer or an additional bass player, at which point the more juvenile types get to make all the predictable jokes about getting to second bass... I'll just go get a coffee now.

eJake and Torrente Cro like this.
  7. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    You say that like a band can only have one bass player.

NoiseNinja likes this.
  8. Badwater

Badwater

Jan 12, 2017
    Playing guitar lead licks on bass is cool and doable. But if you want to play bass for a song, you may need to learn how to incorporate bass lines that hold a bass groove to support the song. Once you get the break for your lead bass solo, then you can unleash.

9. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    I played in a band once called Menfolk where I kind of had the role as lead bass player, also doing a lot of chord work though backing up or counter pointing the guitar at some points in the songs.

And I used this very trebly and midrangy tube overdriven tone for my bass.

We were two bass players though, and the other bass player would mostly take care of the more traditional bass, also having a more bassy tone.

It was not nowhere near doom or stoner though, in fact pretty energetic and fairly fast paced music, even if still pretty heavy rock music, more like some strange crossover between hardcore, noise and math rock.

Even if this is a bit unusual song for Menfolk, it is a good example of my function as bass player in the band (wrote the lyrics for this song too by the way, the guitarist/vocalist taking care of the vocals though together with some synthesized speech):

My gear, just for reference, was an Aria Pro II Laser Electric Classic bass that had this active LPF/HPF build in which I had dialed in to the HPF set at max (not sure at which frequency the filter cut exactly), and ran through an Ampeg B-15S (the '69 version, 60W tube amp) the EQ set at pretty much flat at almost max volume through a single 15"cab.

Further more I used a Boss MT-2 Metal Zone for distortion and feedback parts.

Here's another example, the tittle track from the same EP, where I actually wrote the slightly funky main riff on bass, that the guitar starts out with and that I later join in on bass on and doubles an octave lower:

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
  10. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa Guest

Dec 25, 2011
    Putting everything in little boxes don't do good to anyone including you.

Bass is just an instrument. It can do whatever you want. You just have to be creative and be with creative people ... if you all think in boxes, putting label on everything ... you won't go far.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021