Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Guitar vs. Bass

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by scottos150, Feb 14, 2002.

1. guitar

12 vote(s)
    10.7%
  2. bass

23 vote(s)
    20.5%
  3. they are too different to say

42 vote(s)
    37.5%
  4. This is the kind of poll where "I Like Carots" must be an option.

35 vote(s)
    31.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Which one do you think is harder to play?

2. they're two different instruments.

Don't bother trying to compare, and don't bother listening to those who do.

3. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    The bass is easier to play because it only has 4 strings. The guitar has 6.

4. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    According to my theory(well i dont really have one,but just go along...),its too hard to compare because there are some ways guitar is easier,but some ways its harder,vice versa.I mean guitar strings are closer to eachother so its easier to manuever.Then again they have 6 strings.BUT,bass strings are harder to pluck and strum because there ALOT thicker.
    Guitar necks are thinner and smaller and shorter,therefore its easier to go back and forth up and down the neck,and for the bass its harder because the neck is much bigger.

PS-Its also easier for guitarists to make up riffs/songs because they have more strings,which gives them for notes to work with while making up stuff.

5. I'd say about the same level. For the beginner, bass is harder as it requires much more physical strength to play the actual insrument, due to its size. A guitar is hard to play because a beginner cannot cleanly pick the correct strings. However, a lot of people see bass as being easier because you can get away with playing a lot less technically complicated stuff and actually do your job right. Yes, it's easier to play roots on a bass than it is to improvise a solo on a guitar over those changes. And, a lot of focus is put on the guitar, meaning that you have to be a lot more proficient on the instrument to get noticed. Bass is more of a mental challenge: less resources for learning, and you need to understand a lot more about musical concepts in order to implement your skill, whatever that level, into music. Many good guitar players are just good guitar players; all good bassists are good musicians.

6. Prague77

Prague77

Aug 20, 2001
    Waco, TX
    there seems to be a lot more technique involved with bass. who double slaps on a guitar? basses don't just have 4 strings either...
    *points at JT's basses*

7. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    Yeah if it wasnt for us bassists,the guitarists couldnt base(no pun intended) their solos on anything.Drums and bass are the foundation of the music,and the guitar just makes it sound fancy.

Bass kinda forms the song,like holds down the main "feel".Then the guitar plays fast riffs over it.

8. Prague77

Prague77

Aug 20, 2001
    Waco, TX
    damn right, most of my guitarists riffs sound totally different and certantly worse with out bass. the bass and drums can completly change the feeling to a guitar part.

9. first off... i must to this... aiming at the concept that somone had to start a thread w/ this topic... :rolleyes:

Now that that's out of the way... They're totally different instruments. You can take one or the other in different directions. If you're gonna just hammer out power chords, or "campfire chords", its very simple, but if you're going to go for some of the more mechanicaly challenging styles (see flamenco guitar, classical or jazz) It'll take years of training. Same w/ bass. YOu could just hammer out roots, or a I/IV/V boogie lines or various other easy to do lines, or you could write some nice gooves that fit the song, dont get in the way of the melody, yet still express your feelings, and whatever, and yeah.

For the record... I play both bass and guitar... played them for equal amounts of time... and i believe that their equally challenging. You can cross one thing over to the other i.e. theory, but other than that, two different animals.

10. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I agree with Muttluck. Either can be done poorly, or well. It's a matter of person behind the wheel.

11. JimM

JimM

Jan 13, 2000
    Northern California
    They are so different,and musicians are such a varied group of individuals,that which one is harder depends upon your particular talents.

One requires a good sense of rhythm,a certain humility,a feel for song structure,and even some musical leadership,while the other does not as much.

One may or may not require bending notes to almost perfect pitch,depending upon the style of music.Also,the ability to play "freeform"for short periods of time while knowing where to "rejoin" the song and thus the rest of the instruments.

Some of us "swing" better than others,some "compose" better,some are faster,some hear pitch better etc.your own talent will determine which is easier or harder or if the same.

12. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    My take on it is that to use them effectively, properly and dare i say it 'Master' any instrument is difficult! I don't think 'mastering' any instrument is easier than any other - so I'd suggest that they are both about as difficult to learn to use well!

13. I've never even had the desire to play the guitar. I kinda figure, at 6'2" and 200 pounds, a dinky little guitar would look kinda silly on me, like a little toy. I couldn't take myself seriously trying to play a mandolin or ukulele, it;s just too darn small. I have the same opinion of guitars.

14. Number and thickness of strings don't have much to do with it as far as I can tell.

I'd say the technical demands of guitar are not greater, but more variable. You get more simple things like Come As You Are, and then hideously difficult things like Recuerdos de l'Alhambra (sp?).

I play both, and guitar has always had greater potential for me. I can do more things with a guitar.

But who cares? If you picked up bass because it was more difficult, or less difficult, or more or less anything, then you picked it up for the wrong reason.

15. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    The bass is easier to play because you don't have to play chords or leads.

16. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    You just can't compare the two. Both require different strengths and both forgive different weaknesses. In terms of learning how to play, it takes roughly the same amount of time to get the basics down pat and become a decent player.

I know lots of guitar players who have tried to play bass and it didn't sound good, and they knew it. Even one of the most experienced of them all, a guy who had been playing for close to 15 years, had a degree and taught at various schools, admitted he didn't know how to come up with bass lines.

Conversely, whenever I try to play guitar, it sounds like a bassist playing guitar. It isn't easier, it isn't harder, it just isn't my main instrument.

Recycled Guitar Player (RGP): An ex-guitar player now playing bass that thinks bass is easier to play. That may have been the original reason for the switch.

Not all ex-guitar players qualify as RGP's. Some actually recognize that they are dealing with a different instrument (not just a guitar minus two strings) and actually take the time to learn it properly.

... but an RGP's works are fairly easy to find on most modern recordings. Simply listen for an uninspired line containing only root notes.

17. you're on talkbass....

:D :D :D

18. Bass is harder to make sound good. Used bass gear is hard to come by from my experiences.

For the most part, playing guitar is painful for me. The necks are so tiny and I get hand cramps. On my Ibanez GAX, it's fine.

Then there's the back problems I'm going to have from my 14+ pound Jazz bass. That thing is a beast. I can only imagine what JT's 26 pound 2x neck is like. :eek:

19. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Spoken like a true guitarist;)

20. I like carrots!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.