Guitar vs Chromatic Tuner

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by kiwlm, May 26, 2004.

1. Just would like to know what's the difference between the two.

I have saw Yamaha's YT120 (guitar) and YT250 (chromatic). The difference is quite obvious, since the YT120 only have LEDS and no digital needle, while the YT250 have digital needles.

But when I saw Korg CA30 and Korg GA30, both have digital needles!

I assume that we should get a Bass/Guitar tuner instead of Chromatic Tuners?

Chromatic Tuners are only for other instruments, right?
  2. i prefer chromatic tuners. you can easily tune to any note. it helps when you're learning cover songs that are not in natural tuning. Plus I sit in with some people that play in Eb and the chromatic tuner makes it a breeze.
  3. PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Ok. A chromatic tuner takes your signal and tells you what the note is and then you can tune the string to the desired note. A guitar tuner in its simplest form has a switch on it which you must pre set to the note you want. Also usually guitar tuners and bass tuners only have a switch with which you can select E A D G (B E). Therefore it makes it hard to tune to odd notes such as Eb or anything outside the "Normal" notes without having to fret the string somewhere.
    If you are tossing up between the 2, over which one to buy i would defintely buy the Chromatic. I find them much more userfriendly and useful. Guitar tuners/Bass tuners i have used have been annoying more than anything else.
    Spend the extra money and get the Chromatic.
  4. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I can't think of any good reason to get a 'guitar' tuner rather than a chromatic tuner. I've got a little Korg box - I think it's a CA-20 - which was only about £20 and is a chromatic tuner with both a digital needle and flat-intune-sharp LEDs.

5. The other side of that coin is that out of doors, or by a window, the LEDs cannot be seen, but an LCD display can.

The Korg CA20 that Wulf mentioned is a good unit.
  6. Boss TU-12 Chromatic tuner. The price has REALLY come down on those, it's a needle tuner with LED arrows that show if your sharp or flat. So you're covered indoors or out. The worst tuner for seeing in sunlight is the Arion Stage Tuner.
  7. i only come out at night. ;)
  8. fastplant

Sep 26, 2002

yes, get this, best tuner for the money
  9. I have the KORG GA-30 and it works great. Digital needle and lights, Guitar and Bass, has an audible tone for both as well as a "Flat" button. My only complaint is that it is kind of hard to hold steady. My cord tends to drag it off a table if I am not careful, because it is so light and the offset plug makes it awkward to hold in your hand.
  10. Actually, BOSS recently came out with the TU-80, It can be set to chromatic or you can select standard tuning mode as well...and you can select a "flatted" mode for Eb tuning, it has settings for guitar AND bass, and a built in metronome.
    It is by far the most versatile tuner Ive ever seen, and get this folks: $40 U.S. dollars retail. I jumped on it!
    Try one out today!
  11. So can I sum up that I can get a guitar tuner that have digital needles and ability to flat it so I can tune to Eb? Like Korg GA-30?

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member