1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

guitar with bass strings

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by th30nlyAket, Mar 9, 2013.

1. th30nlyAket

th30nlyAket

Sep 24, 2010
    how safe or hell is it even ossible to do something like this. Basically trying to get a cheap bass VI

2. lowsideonacurve

lowsideonacurve

Feb 24, 2011
    A cheap bass IV's are plentiful, you want a cheap bass VI :bag:

3. th30nlyAket

th30nlyAket

Sep 24, 2010
    yea i corrected lol. So basically if i throw some bartone guitar strings on a strat, am i gonna snap the neck

4. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    Firstly I doubt you'd get them on there without modifications to bridge, nut, and tuners.

Secondly, if you got them on there, when tuned to the correct pitch for a Bass VI they would not be under as much tension as they would be on a real Bass VI and not endanger the neck at all. It'd be all floppy.

5. FrednBass

FrednBass

Feb 24, 2012
    The scale is not long enugh to work properly.

6. msb

msb

Jul 3, 2002
    Halifax,N,S. Canada
    Just the matter of getting the best gauge strings .

7. BassedInSpace

BassedInSpace

Oct 2, 2012
    Illinois
    Didn't the Presidents Of The United States Of America do something like that, I remember the guy using only 2 low tuned strings on a guitar.

8. FrednBass

FrednBass

Feb 24, 2012
    They would be so thick that I think the neck wouldn't handle it right.
    But I could be wrong.

9. Cyborg

Cyborg

Jul 7, 2007
    Lowcountry, SC
    Yea, I think PUSA used a "guitbass" setup.

10. I believe he had a custom instrument for that^

11. Hi.

Possible, but not feasible.

Unless You're willing to sacrifice a bit of low end by tuning higher than a regular bass.

However, if You want E-E tuning on a 24"/25" instrument, a string set from .175 up would be needed. That in turn will put the strings very close to eachother on a guitar neck, making playing impossible.

The neck of a quality instrument won't snap.
    It probably won't take it in the long run (especially with a compressing TR), but for a test it's IME ok.

^This.

Regards
    Sam

12. funnyfingers

funnyfingers

Nov 27, 2005
    I am thinking that if you wanted to do a test comparison to see what the tension would be like, use d'addario's string tension chart and look for the note that is 25% less tension and tune your standard bass to that. Does that sound right? I think that would be like tuning down 5 half steps in terms of tension on a 34" scale... hmm ... this could make a 5 string set work as EADGB pretty well if the tension isn't too much.

13. th30nlyAket

th30nlyAket

Sep 24, 2010
    well if it help the gagues i was gonna use start at .024 and end at .082

14. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    It would sound terrible and have lousy playability imo. Even if got right string gauges and tension for neck to handle it ok.

15. Whystay

Whystay

May 2, 2011
    I actually used to have two guitars set up with bass strings on the E and A. I used it successfully in my acoustic duo. Basically I used a .110 Bass E string and the comparable A string.

Those two strings were such low tension when tuned to pitch that there was no issue with the neck. But of course, you have to adjust your technique (light touch) and chord voicings because you need to have all your root notes on those strings. But is no biggie.

To set up a guitar for this, you need to pay attention to intonation. The nut has to be slotted for the thicker gauges and if possible, compensated. The bridge also.

You will have intonation problems but you can taper wind the strings which will help greatly. You basically unpick the outer wrap where it crosses the bridge saddle and nut. Superglue the loose end and you're good.

I did this to quite a few of my cheapish guitars but settled on the Carvin NS1 (nylon) and an Epi ES 175. These two became the main gig guitars when I needed that. Worked great. The ES 175 was the easiest to setup and intonate due to the floating bridge. For other guitars- acoustics especially, you will need to enlarge the string hole in the bridge. That's a pain because you can't get a drill in there. So I clamped up a drill bit and turned it with my fingers. Takes about 45 minutes to enlarge the hole. Swearing helps here.

I've stopped using these guitars because I was getting irritated not being able to play a decent bass line or a decent rhythm guitar part. A better player would probably find a way to do both but not I.

PM me if anyone wants more detailed info.

16. Osztertag2112

Osztertag2112

Jan 27, 2013
    Id suggest a new neck, easiest way xD if u could get a aritone obe, or even a bass neck with a couple extra tuners

17. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    Not going to work, you'd spend more modifying the guitar to be playable than you would buying a used Bass VI.

Guitar tuners and bridge wont work for the bigger strings, and with your scale reduced from a Bass VI you'd need the strings even thicker to play right, hence even more trouble with guitar-sized tuners and bridge.

18. subbasshz

subbasshz

Aug 11, 2012
    phoenix az
    Im addicted to punishing volume.