Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

guitar woods?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jasonbraatz, Dec 27, 2001.

1. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    why don't more guitar makers use "exotic woods" like bass makers do? like wenge necks, ebony boards, hardwood bodies, etc?

my roommate has a warmoth parts guitar strat with an MIM poplar body sanded down to natural finish, carvin electronics (with tortoiseshell pickguard) and a warmoth wenge neck with ebony fingerboard, with the angled headstock. this thing cost under 700 to build, including the cost of the original MIM strat, and IMO toasts any PRS, les paul, custom shop strat...anything. the tone is so clear and pure and huge. and it plays great too!

so...why not? is it just that more people play guitar, so it is more of a production decision, or are there other reasons?

jason

2. My guess would be that the woods which sound good for bass might not give the same results when used to make a regular six string. Maybe it's that we, as bassplayers are of a MUCH more savy and sophisticated lot than guitarists. :D
    Seriously though, it seems to me that the average bass player knows more about his gear than the average guitarist. Just my observation.

Mike J.

3. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    I agree with you about the observations, Michael, but I do know some gear-head geetawrists. :p

My guess is that so many guitars are manufacterd compared to basses, that the guitar manufacturers simply don't have the money to buy the exotic woods to make them on a standard model. I read on some site that the number of guitars made to the number of basses mades ~20:1.