Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Guitar work through bass amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bobdob20, Mar 14, 2006.

1. bobdob20

bobdob20

Mar 5, 2006
    I play bass and have a bass amp, but was wondering if a guitar would work through it properly.
    If any one could answer my question that would be great.

2. Yes, it will.

3. Zapp

Zapp

Sep 4, 2005
    Gruene Texas
    my opinions.....
    I play acoustic guitar and e. bass... I am not an expert on Electric Guitar, deliberately, but I do know my stuff on amplifying acoustic guitars with the goal of it sounding like an acoustic guitar at the other end... just real big.
    I LOVE using my old Workingmans 12 with my acoustic rig. It is far superior to ANY "acoustic guitar" amp I have listened to for small/med hall sound. Of course, I must condition and level the signal before it hits the preamp stage of the SWR, and frankly would probably sound as good if I bypassed the SWR pre-, but it works, works, works like magic.

This is not the case with all amps: With my Eden WT-400 sig, there was no way to get a really warm/good guitar sound. Same with an older Hartke head I had, although that one could come closer to what I like.

A real guitarist who can really manhandle a Strat or PRS or whatever would not even consider what you're stating, and probably will not bother to respond.
    z

4. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    My guitarist likes to use my ampeg BA112 when he comes over. Gives him some bottom he can't get with guitar amps that size.

5. bobdob20

bobdob20

Mar 5, 2006
    Thanks for the help

6. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    As said yet it will work, but likely it will not sound very good since the eq. and cabinet designs are made for a completely different instrument. Running a keyboard through a guitar amp is a similar situation. It works, but it very likely sound any good since it's not made to reproduce those sounds.

^The statement above is more for modern bass amps and the more common SS design in them.

7. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    The '59 Bassman is considered one of the best guitar amps of all time, despite the fact that it's a bass amp. For years, little distinction was made between guitar and bass amps, although I'm not aware of any proffesional guitarists using a modern-designed bass amp currently.

I split the signal from my baritone guitar rigto an SWR head and 215 cab a few months back in an effort to sound bigger. I kept the 215, but the SWR just sounded muddy, slow, and hollow with the guitar.

8. bobdob20

bobdob20

Mar 5, 2006
    i'm not really looking for quality. i just want to use it for a bit of practice.

9. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    It'll be fine, then. I used my Ampeg B2 combo for years as a practice amp before I got my first real guitar rig. The only leftover scarring from the experience is that I turn down any treble knob I see on a guitar amp :)

10. bobdob20

bobdob20

Mar 5, 2006
    I also have an multi-effects pedal. would i be able to use that as well.

11. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Yes. I used a Zoom box for distortion in the previously mentioned rig. No damage resulted, nor do I think it ever would.

12. bobdob20

bobdob20

Mar 5, 2006
    i got the zoom b2.1u