Guitar World's Bass Guitar Magazine

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by modflea, Jun 28, 2004.

1. modflea

Apr 26, 2004
    Lafayette, LA
    I just picked up the newest issue of this magazine and I was wondering what anyone else thought about it. Now I am a Bass Player reader since the first special issue with the Geddy Lee cover. But this new magazine is something else.

Warning: Opinions to follow...

First of all the positives:
    1. The vast range of bass players interviewed in this issue was awesome. From Geddy Lee to Stefan Lessard to the Warped Tour Bassists to Kim Gordon, they really ran the gamut of bass styles, which is very uncommon for this publication. The first few issues struck me as very "flavor of the month".
    2. Did I mention they had an interivew and lesson with Stefan Lessard, one of my favorite players?

Now for the negatives:
    1. Whoever proofread this magazine was not paying attention. On page 28, it says the Kim Gordon interview continues on page 54. Well unless she has turned into Stefan Lessard, I don't think that's right. :eyebrow: As a matter of fact, the end of the interview is nowhere to be found in the entire magazine. :rolleyes: I looked cover to cover!
    2. In the Geddy Lee interview on page 40, it says (see sidebar page 39). Well p. 39 is the picture of Lee, but no sidebar is in sight! On p. 44 in the same interview, it says (see sidebar 38). However p.38 is the first page of the interview, but voila no sidebar! Now since the question was about Geddy's $200 Jazz bass, I'm assuming it refers to the sidebar on p. 40.

They may be minor problems, but to me, attention to detail is important.

I think that with this issue, the magazine has made a major step forward in reaching out to a wider range of bass players. I hope this trend continues, as I always enjoy a good read about bass players. The more the merrier!
  2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Wrong forum - moved.
  3. modflea

Apr 26, 2004
    Lafayette, LA
    Thanks! I wasn't quite sure where it belonged.
  4. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    How can you not like a mag where Fieldy has a "teaching" column? :bag:
  5. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Fieldy has a teaching column?? :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow:
  6. ..well, not anymore!

:bag: ... i think he only had it in the 1st or second issue...
  7. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    How many articles does it take to teach that "clicky" technique? :eyebrow:

:ninja: :bag: :ninja:
  8. Ahhh.. i am not willing to answer that question, on the grounds it may incriminate me... :p

...back to the magazine.. i like it! And it's cheaper than Bass Player.. which is a plus for me.. being a poor student and all.. :( ... :)

9. i don't like any of the bass magazines.

terrible writing.
    reviews that pander to advertisers
    another interview with geezer butler?
    musicians are not journalists
    TAB sucks
    oooh, look! more pictures of wooten
    etc. etc.
  10. I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    the one in question is quite ****e really
  11. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    It has tab in it. Tab is the enemy. 'nuff said.
  12. oh come on...he did one of their new songs...the article was called "what you want me to slap you?" yikes... at least JPJ was there, teaching us how to play black dog, one of zep's better songs imo....

anyhow, i have only bought one of their mags, the one with trujillo on the cover.

I don't really like it because they seem to cover a lot more metal and hard rock stuff. but i don't complain, i think metal is alright, bp seems the same way to me only with jazz. but what are you going to do?

i don't mind tab, because tab is better than nothing (hint for bp)

but anyways, i really don't feel like fieldy has much to teach me, nor newstead (on how to play with a pick) and especially shavo (yes the soad guy).

i dunno, its not that bad but its not that good either!

13. gotta love his shirts though... they are worth seeing!!!

I see him in 2 days...