Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by fretbuzz, Jan 21, 2002.

1. do most of the bassists at talkbass also play any guitar? the reason i ask is that a friend let me borrow his electric and i thought it couldnt hurt to learn to play some chords. has this urge ever happened to you, or am i going to get kicked out for even asking?
  2. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    It never hurts to learn another instrument.
  3. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    You have been reported to the site administrator, and your account cancellation should be effective as of 21:00 PST today.

4. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH

Chris_A.:rolleyes: (Whose_children_spilled_Pepsi_on_his_keyboard_and_shorted_out_the_space_bar!!)
  5. but dude... he said guitar...

:D :D
  6. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    It's all good. One of my goals is to learn old-school jazz guitar once I move back to Illinois and can find the proper teacher. For now I'm just bangin' out those power chords and fumbling with a chord book. But seriously, my knowledge from bass has helped a lot. Everyone should at least TRY guitar.
  7. erik II

erik II

Jul 11, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
    I started on guitar. It comes helpful when writing songs.
  8. RHCFlea

Jun 16, 2001
    Washington DC
    please, PLEASE, don't go guitar. its just a whiny chorded cousin of the bass. If you wanna learn something else, try the didgeridoo.
  9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Guitar is a great second instrument. I love to pick up an acoustic and strum a few chords. I am planning on getting an inexpensive 12 string(¿Yamaha, maybe?) before too long.
  10. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    True,but I think it's dumb to play more than 2.My friend is trying to be a "well-rounded" person in music.He's trying to learn guitar,bass,drums,and piano.To me it's dumb,I would rather choose one instrument and become really good at it,then become mediocre at a few instrument.Just my opinioon.
  11. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    I forgot to add,that I think that learning chords on guitar is good,if youre in a band with a sucky guitarist.You can just tell him to play a few chords and you can basslines according to the chords.
  12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

There's nothing wrong with being a multiinstrumentalist. I wish I was a better drummer and guitarist. I wish that I had a little better coordination on piano. Jaco played bass, drums, piano, saxophone, trumpet and probably a lot of other instruments.

The best musician I have ever played with is a guy that played in a church that I used to go to. No formal training. Best pianist I have ever played with, killer organ player, great sax player, one of the best drummers I've ever played with, also plays violin, banjo, guitar, trumpet, mandolin, great vocalist and kicks my butt on the bass too. Of course, he is the guy that told me that I was the best bassist that he had ever heard, even though I think he kicks my butt.
  13. Lazy

May 30, 2001
    Vancouver BC
    Actually, I was suprised at how easy the PIANO was after playing guitar and bass for a few years. With all the notes in a row like that and the fact you can play 10 notes at a time? Try it, you'll see it's not that hard. Now give a pianist a bass and you'll see them fumble all over it! Piano looks daunting at first, but IMO guitar and bass are 2 of the hardest instruments to master!

P.S. Give the guitar a try, you might really like it and it's nice to have around to break out of any plateaus you might hit playing the bass!:)
  14. basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    ive been playing guitar more than bass recently (see my other thread)...

sometimes it seems more challenging..defenitly give it a try, but dont get too attached.
  15. I think you should go for it!! I've got 2 electrics and a recently acquired electro-acoustic. I'm not very good on them, but practice makes perfect!!!!
  16. cap

Aug 8, 2001
    Hickam Hawaii
    Now see...if you teach your children properly to drink COCA COLA then this wouldnt have happened....:D

But ya....back to the subject....i picked up guitar when i didnt have my bass for like 3 purchasing a Squier Strat...dont gonna tear the guts out and replace the electronics and im gonna scratch Squier off the head im gettin the guitar for 25 so...:rolleyes:
  17. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    There´s nothing wrong with playing the guitar as long as you don´t solo too much. I´m lucky, I only know one guitarist like that and he isn´t in my band.:)
  18. I play the guitar in my new band. I don't play bass anymore except for fun. Its really funny, cause the bassist in my band is better at guitar then I am *a lot better* and I am better at bass then him. But we can't switch, lol.
  19. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    i like a lot to play my guitar too. it's different from bass but it helped me a lot to become a better bass player. i love my MIM fender stratocaster classic '50!
  20. cloudnine

Jan 18, 2002
    A lot of you guys seem to hate the guitar.... you make me sad :( I mean... come on guys its another instrument. No better or worse then bass.