Guitarcenter

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Luka, Jul 27, 2018.

1. Luka

Luka

Jul 25, 2018
    Hey fellas, I wonder why guitarcenter has so low rating?Does it also includes their online shop? Because I saw some nice basses there for a really good price and I don't want to get scammed or something. Sorry, but I'm just too lazy to research it and read reviews :D There are no local guitarcenter shops where I live so I have to order and wait till it ships.

jd56hawk likes this.
  2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    The retail stores are hit and miss, notorious for high staff turnover. I've had good luck a couple of times with their used gear site, though.

P. Aaron and Aqualung60 like this.
  3. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    The bad reviews are deserved based on my experience with about ten stores in New York and New Jersey. The basses are what they are. They have a massive online catalogue and a good return policy. The in-store experience isn't good as far as the people and how problematic trying the bass you want to try can be, but there's no need to worry about getting scammed.

Badwater, Beendown139, GregC and 3 others like this.
  4. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Never had a problem with Guitar Center...never even close...and I’ve bought basses from five different GCs in Jersey and Pa.
    Bought some great basses online, too and had them shipped to my local GC...still own one, Dean Exotica acoustic, and it still amazes me every time I pick up and plug it in.
    Bought a brand new $900 Markbass CDM 121P for $599.
    No one else ever sold it for that price and no one ever will.
    Then again, I’ve never bought a bad bass.
    Even when I gamble, I gamble smart.

Spidey2112, Aqualung60 and Luka like this.
  5. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

I have ordered heaps of stuff from them & had my fair share of woes, but your biggest problem is going to be returning it if there's an issue.
    For me, I can just drive 90 minutes to the nearest store.

6. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

no problem...we'll all pitch in and do it for you! what's your snail mail address?

:laugh:

TNCreature and Savagehenry like this.
  7. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    The one in Rockville Maryland sucks as far as bass selection is concerned. For guitars there's a 50 foot wall 15 feet high covered with guitars end to end from floor to ceiling. There's also a climate controlled room for acoustic guitars. For bass there's a corner in the back of the store with maybe 15 basses there and most of them are squires of the same type, one Jack Casidy and a couple of the import Musicman basses. That's it.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
    B-Mac likes this.
  8. I use their Livewire brand cords exclusively because they have a lifetime guarantee. When the ends fry - just take it back for a free replacement.

9. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    GC is spotty. It can be great, it can be atrocious. I haven't had a lot of horrifying experiences there, however I have had a ton of mediocre experiences there. I like to go to the showroom, strap on an Epiphone Thunderbird, and play actual songs on it, and when I do that, it has been great.

When I go for specific needs, I am sometimes disappointed, and prefer to shop online.

I used to live in Fort Wayne, and shopped at Sweetwater when there. It was much better.

Ross W. Lovell, Spidey2112 and Luka like this.
  10. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 15, 2003
    Vegas
    There is also a whole "bass room" (not enclosed) closer to the front door, where they seem to have all the new basses; the back corner is used basses I thought. Bass room is to the right of the effects counter as you're walking toward the guitars. I agree their selection isn't great, but it's not abysmal. Better than 7 corners, at least when I was there a month ago.

11. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    Hit or miss and depends on which particular store you go to. Overall, I would rate them from decent to atrocious.- the ones near me seem to have fewer basses these days and selection is a little limited compared to some of their other stores in other states - based on the seemingly more varied selection of used instruments online that are available in other stores. I have bought a number of basses online, probably over 20 and generally haven't had a problem- I've returned a few that weren't as advertised. I would suggest calling the particular store where the bass is at if you're interested in a particular one, have the store associate give you a verbal assessment of the condition, neck etc rather than going by just the photo or rating in the listing. There is no standard as to what's "good" or "acceptable". I've never returned a bass by mail to them as you can return any purchase online (including used basses from other stores) to any guitar center near you.

12. To add to what everyone said, remeber that in US most busienss do not publish the price including taxes so you will have to add that probably.

That being said, GC is huge so I would assume the volume of instruments they move allow them to cut better deals with some companies

13. soulman969

soulman969 Inactive

Oct 6, 2011
    Englewood, Colorado
    Their used gear can be a crap shoot simply because there is no universal rating system between stores. One may rate something as excellent another store may only rate as good and in many cases what they take in used is not checked over before listing it.

For example, I bought and amp from a store in MA listed as being in very good condition. When it arrived the grill cloth was torn, the speaker cone punctured, the reverb was shot, is was missing knobs. The photo provide on line revealed none of this nor was it mentioned.

If you live near a brick and mortar store it's convenient to just return what doesn't arrive as described but if not and you wish to return something you'll have to pay the shipping costs to do that and eat the original shipping costs to you. So buy with caution and call the store that has it first.

14. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    They're great in Oxnard, CA. I've had no problems whatsoever with the staff and equipment there. One guy even gives me pre trade ball park quotes if I ask him before I make the drive.

15. Jscriv

Jscriv

Feb 3, 2017
    Tonawanda NY
    There's one 10 minutes from my house. There's no scam to worry about. Luckily the staff has remained the same for years too. But the stock is always crap. They never have much to try out. And charge top doar MOST of the time. But there's sweet deals to be had. GC it up my friend. If you wait, they do deals of 4 years no interest on thier credit cards. Always fun. Sweetwater is also an awesome online site to deal with

16. tom dicus

tom dicus Supporting Member

May 17, 2017
    Wasilla, AK USA
    i suck at bass but will never give up
    I believe I've bought 5 basses from GC and 1 guitar in the last 2 years. As well as 3 amps and probably 6 or so cabinets. All on the internet as they are not in Alaska yet.
    I bought one in person while traveling through the west coast.
    I have not had a single problem at all from ordering and have nothing but great things to say about GC online ordering.
    The in person experience in Portland, however, sucked like a twin turbo charged 900 horse 8.2 Cummins powered Hoover! That was a huge disappointment. No professionalism whatsoever and I will never go there again.
    Just my experience only.
    I'm sure they are not all like that.

17. tom dicus

tom dicus Supporting Member

May 17, 2017
    Wasilla, AK USA
    i suck at bass but will never give up
    I would like to add that I bought all US made Fenders, Rickenbacker, Gidson, and Carvin basses and guitars as well as USA Peavey amps and cabinets. All super good prices and excellent quality!

18. Ironbar

Ironbar Inactive

Aug 24, 2013
    Tigard, Oregon
    The experiences I've had with GC have been generally favorable. I've bought used online, bought new in store, and sold used in store, all with good results. YMMV.

19. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    I could give you some extremely helpful info and tips about GC but won’t. At least do the basics before you start asking people for their time.

20. TheReceder

TheReceder

Jul 12, 2010
    Mn.
    Guitar center= the Walmart of the music store world. That can be a good thing if you're looking for a good deal.

Curious what other store people put into this big box category. I was thinking about doing business with Alto Music, but never heard anything about them. I know musicians friend is affiliated with GC, but have had any problems with them.

mrspiffy likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021