Guitarcenter

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Luka, Jul 27, 2018.

1. MordBass

MordBass

Nov 1, 2017
    Midwest
    Guaranteed for the life of guitarcenter. But yea... I agree, its a good cable for the money

2. MordBass

MordBass

Nov 1, 2017
    Midwest
    Online is great.... great return policy.... decent pricing if you are patient and shop the used inventory...
    The downside? You really need to know your stuff before walking into a store because their staff isnt of much help at all. Most of the demo amps are not plugged in and the basses have old strings or setups that leave a bit to be desired. The staff has ranged from "i dont know" to flat out telling the wrong information. Not to mention that the company is facing bankruptcy so I'd definitely use a card instead of cash and I would not buy any form of extended warranty or service plan.

3. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg , Conquest Sound
    For the most part, I have had good luck at GC. Mostly years ago when they had a good selection of MIA Fender, Ampeg, GK and other good quality brands. It seems that in the last 5 to 10 years, they have shifted their focus to entry level instruments and rarely if ever have anything for those of us who are willing to spend $1,000 or more on a bass or an amp. The quality of the employees has also gotten worse. I've had some of them tell me that they've never heard of Eden or EBS amps, Alembic, Lakland or Sadowsky. I even had one employee tell me that a GK amp will not work with Ampeg cabs because according to him "GK is made Germany and they have different electricity over there." In the past 10 years I have mostly purchased cables and strap locks from GC. The two exceptions were a Martin 12 string acoustic guitar and a Spector bass.

4. Alik

Alik

Apr 13, 2013
    El Paso, TX
    Subscribe to their email and soon you'll get a 20% off coupon. I'm waiting for it one more time to buy an Ibanez 6 stringer :bassist:

5. BradH

BradH Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Billings, Mt
    Over the years I have found some great used bass's at GC.
    I have have returned a lot too, that is the great thing. 30 day return policy.

6. vvvmmm

vvvmmm

Dec 6, 2016
    Chi
    The product is the product.

My issue with the store is the sales-weasels. Unfair, I know, to think of all of 'em that way, but the 3-4 that alienated me, well, I never go to GC on a planned trip, just stop in once in a while to look.

If you can't take, "I'm just looking, thanx" as a non-invite to practice your budding car-lot style, you apparently belong at Banjo Mart.

7. B-Mac

B-Mac Just like Aretha Sang... R-E-S-P-E-C-T Supporting Member

GC is the Wal Mart of music stores. Great prices. Great Selection (except for bass). High turn over of staff. Staff usually know less than you do except perhaps the main store manager, who is usually a working musician, but usually isn't there when you need them.

Have had decent in store experiences when I researched ahead of time. Buying used online is great for me as I can pickup my purchase at the GC store close to where I work during my lunch hour rather than having it shipped to my house and having to play the cat and mouse game with having to sign for the item.

8. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    GC is fine as long as you know what you want going in and don’t get bent out of shape by (mostly) clueless sales minions trying to pressure/scam you into buying something you don’t really want.

9. B-Mac

B-Mac Just like Aretha Sang... R-E-S-P-E-C-T Supporting Member

Really? I'll have to check these out. Thanks for the info!

10. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    GC is fine as long as you know what you want going in and don’t get bent out of shape by (mostly) clueless sales minions trying to pressure/scam you into buying something you don’t really want.

11. dennis james

dennis james

Jun 30, 2018
    chicago area
    SAMS TRASH is sort of an east coast based version of GD (guitar denter) and not affiliated with musicians FIEND.:laugh::smug::hyper::D

12. Ross W. Lovell

Ross W. Lovell

Oct 31, 2015

The store by me, one of the bigger has issues.

Most of the staff, don't play........professional retail people. They know all the bullet points of the selling features but because they don't play, can't answer a specific question.

Store is annoying as being a cash customer, I've waited an hour plus for someone to finish his weekly visit to play Black Sabbath badly through his favorite guitar store guitar and amp..........and was told repeatedly "it's okay he always does this"!

Their tech work sucks and is never done done in the quoted time.

Bass selection usually limited.

Many times, I've caught the staff either sizing me up or discussing whether it's worth pulling one done for me as I won't pull something without first asking.

They seem to specialize in condescending Richards!

There are some good staff there, but they only work about 30 hours a week so they don't qualify for healthcare.

The used equipment is usually priced well and of wide assortment.

Occasionally see some old friends.

I don't expect much so I'm not usually disappointed, and on occasion pleasantly surprised.

13. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    With a 45 day return policy, how can you get scammed?

14. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Because.....Bain Capital. That’s why!!!! ;)

15. LordRyan

LordRyan

Dec 9, 2012
    NJ
    Have made many purchases at GC since the early 80's. I have purchased a Bass, keyboards, Bass amp, and other items. I had a problem trying to buy a drum set recently. I wanted a specific Ludwig model that needed to be special ordered. I went in twice and they were very indifferent about placing the order so I went to a local drum-oriented store which was happy to make the sale. I currently have a mandolin on order. It was originally supposed to arrive in June and is now expected sometime in August.

16. 4SG

4SG

Mar 6, 2014
    GC has its merits. They carry a lot of gigging necessities. They’re big enough to stock a lot of brands and gear, and are as inexpensive as any other major seller. Coordination between stores is pretty good if you see something online in another place. They’re okay about returns. I’ve always bought used basses but I’ve test-driven quite a few at GC. These are rarely, if ever, properly set up. That’s probably many folks’ biggest gripe: little to no attention to instruments you’d get at a smaller shop.

17. Sonicfrog

Sonicfrog Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Fresno, CA
    I don't hate Guitar Center. I don't love Guitar Center.

I don't like going there because there is always a shredder doing a Guitar Center audition with the volume turned to 11, and I can't hear what the bass or guitar or keyboard sounds like that i want to try out. It's too annoying for me.

I also try to buy local when I can to support local stores.

18. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    That's the way it was for years then the "bass room" was changed for more guitars the last time I was there which was last winter. Maybe they changed it back. Thanks for the info. I usually go to Chucks anyway even though it's a lot farther away.

19. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Really depends on the store, .but it is not unusual for instruments there to be unplayable. Earlier this year I was at a store in NY and was checking some Squier basses (was thinking about getting a beater). Several necks were so bad you literally could not get a note to sound above the 6th fret. The staff knew, but "didn't have time" to work on them.

20. Bassmann79

Bassmann79

Mar 7, 2015
    Guitar Center is pathetic for bass stuff, if you play cheapo high production basses then it will be fine for you. If you want to play high end quality instruments, you will never find one in a GC store.

Even the Bass Amp sections are weak sauce, tons of Mark Bass though.

The acoustic rooms are great and I am lucky to have a solid acoustic pro at my local GC. I just bought a Taylor 324ce a few weeks back and I am over the moon happy with it.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021