Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Guitarist adding bass to skills needs Amp advice

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Felder, Jan 26, 2005.

1. Felder

Felder

Jan 26, 2005
    Hello bassists. . . been playing guitar for 25 years and decided it would be nice to be able to play bass periodically to add a mix to my skills.

Bought a cheap, used Ovation Celebrity 5-string acoustic/electric bass I ran across (34 inch neck, not 35). Would like to pick up an inexpensive, used small practice amp that could be used periodically to jam with others. Not talking doing hall gigs or anything, just an easily portable small amp that can fill a fairly small room and quality sound.

Suggestions greatly appreciated.

While I'm at it, a stupid question from a guitarists point of view. . . why on a 5 string bass is the tuning BEADG and not EADGB? Just to add the extra bottom I assume, but any reason I can't used the EADGB instead of BEADG to translate more of my knowledge from guitar over? :help:

2. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    'Sup Man!

For a good, cheap practice amp. I've played thru Fender's, Crate's, and Peavey's. I currently used a 300 watt Fender for my main rig, but for practice, I've got a 50 watt Peavey. Sounds great, easily portable, and not all that expensive. Check 'em out!

As far as stringing goes, we bassists "love da booty", so as far as I'm concerened, why have the low B if all you're gonna do is raise it up the scale? True, it may be easier to switch over from guitar, but my guitarist at church was able to pick it up rather quickly and is having a blast. Now he wants me to teach him how to slap...go figure.

GSPLBASSDC

3. Felder

Felder

Jan 26, 2005
    Yo Gospel Bassist! Thanks for the insight. It's interesting you mention guitarist at your church switching over to bass, because that is one of the reasons I picked up a bass was so when needed I could sub for the bassist of our church comtemporary group.

You convinced me, I'll stick with the 5 string low B and learn to make it work.

How has your guitarist been picking it up quickly? What strategy is he using. I mean, I can learn to play scales and all, but for the church group, I figure I will need to learn how to read a bass clef (know treble clef pretty well) and other bass related tricks of the trade. Any short cuts he took that helped would be appreciated.

I own a peavy electric guitar amp and have been happy, might as well stay in the family!

4. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium

Low B string avoid the Drop D tunning

5. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Smart Man!!! Sticking with the B will give you much props when you're playin' a seriously funky song.

Anyway, my guitarist isn't switching over ...he's too much of a showman for that, but he'd like to do some recording @ home and would like a few skills. What he's been doing is getting more in tune with what the bass drum is doing. He can read chords, but translating that to bass requires him to be more focused on staying in the pocket than soloing. I've taught him a few patterns that are widely used in gospel music (which in our church borders closely on the funk/blues side), and let him view a few of my instructional dvd's (not mine...I just own some), and he's working it from that angle, but if you can read, then you've got a HUGE headstart...the rest is all about the ear, baby!!

Good luck!!