Guitarist are such trogladites

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by JWC, Jun 7, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    This is truly pathetic that so many guitarist have no clue the names of the chords or notes that they play. How is that. I learned the names of all the notes on the neck within a day or 2. Most bassists know the notes they play and most guitarists don't.

Also I hate how guitarists refer to chords by one letter, and to hell with a minor, dominant, etc. They call e minor plain ol' e, etc.
  2. Reid

Aug 25, 2000
    Oakville, Ontario
    yup, sure, whatever pal.
  3. hey, that's an unfair generalization. i don't think i know any guitar players like that.
  4. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I knew quite a few. Or if they knew the name of the chord, they didn't know all the notes in it. Of course, many guitarists are absolutely excellent musicians who are extremely knowlegeable, taking their instrument seriously and knowing every note on every string and fret. Not all are the "troglodytes" JWC describes, but, yes, a few are. They don't often last very long though.
  5. Sofa King

Sofa King

Aug 20, 2000
    Rowlett, TX
    Lol, I know what you mean. This guy I know plays guitar, he recorded some of his stuff he made up. For the hell of it and for practice I decided to make up a bassline to his recordings. So I ask him " What chords are you playing man?" and he told me "I don't know... here, I made a tab of what I palyed" (which was also incorrect, too :p)
  6. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Improve your company. It'll benefit you, too.
  7. Out of the 15-20 something guitarists at my school, 4 know the names of the chords. Only 2 (myself included :) ) know anytihng other than powerchords.
  8. what are you talking about that they wouldn't make it far. jimi hendrix didn't know how to read music and neither did stevie ray vaughn and they were only some of the best guitarist ever to walk the face of the planet
  9. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    I usually don't reply to any post by the Jabbering Water Closet, but I can't help but notice how nice it is to see the word "Banned" by his name. It's quite becoming.

10. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Hope springs eternal, N.H.
  11. Wait, so he was temporarily banned, and as of June 7th 2001, he is banned permanently?

And what did he do? If I'm allowed to ask?
  12. most guitar players I know, know their chords. Sometimes it is a lack of understanding. i.e. if a guitar player says G he means G major, if he yells G minor he means G minor. If G 7 it will be G maj7 ond so on, if its G dominant he calls G dominant. I don't know if all of that is right but I have been hanging with the same guys for years and I kind of took it on myself to know what he ment when he spoke.
    Kind of sounds better when you know what the exact chords are.

P.S. Hey BigWheel I just noticed that your B-Day is that day after mine, no wonder we tend to agree. :D
  13. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    the best euphemism yet!!!!!
  14. My guitarist knows his chords, and a lot about theory. But that's not always the case, he took piano lessons as a kid and played saxophone in the school's concert band.
  15. Moving away from guitarists....could Stevie Wonder read music?!
  16. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

There's a clue in the "what job" thread around here! :rolleyes:
  17. Well...out of everyone in my band, it's probably me that knows the least about theory, scales, chord structure etc.

Our drummer/guitarist/vocalist who used to live in Beijing took music in school there, and has played violin, piano, flute, and some of the Chinese instruments. Theory was mandatory.

Our other drummer/guitarist/aspiring bassist's dad is near musical genious. He takes informal lessons with his dad all the time. Even though he finds theory boring, and claims to never use it, I know he's lying, because whenever he comes up with something on the guitar or bass, it always FLOWS, and if I take the time to look carefully, he's always following some scale or other.

Then there's his girlfriend, the pianist/guitarist/main vocalist/cellist who's been learning music since she was a wee li'l lass. She knows her scales, her chord structure...heck, when she was told to write a "sad underscore" for Wally Dudes, she came up with one of the saddest pieces of music I've heard in a long time, and it took her about 5 minutes of noodling around on the piano.

And then there's me. Li'l ol' me. Anything I make up is all done relatively randomly. I don't know many scales, I can't name every note on the fretboard just by looking at it, and I can't read music.

So yeah, I think I disproved JWC's thread title when he implied that all guitarists are 'trogladites'.
    But...for the record, it's spelled troglodyte.
  18. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    considering the source, i think it was meant as a complement.
  19. Well, then again...being an cave man could have its upsides...
    Not nearly as much pollution as there is now, no technology to get in the way of loving life, free sex whenever you want it...or...well...kinda. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.