Guitarist crossing over to bass needs help building rig....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by screamingdaisy, Aug 26, 2005.

1. I'm sure my local situation is typical.....a million freakin guitarists and hardly any decent bassists...

Anyway, I'm looking to convert over to bass. I've always enjoyed rhythm work over lead and like I locking into a groove....not to mention that I'd like to play more gigs.

That said, I'm looking for suggestions....

Just for reference....I need something that'll do Sludge, Doom, Stoner, Grunge type stuff (Sabbath, CoC, Crowbar, Soundgarden, FuManchu, Kyuss, Sunn O))), ect), but still be flexible enough to for use as a hired gun type bassist.
  2. jammoore

Mar 28, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    What kind of guitar gear do you have? That will give me an idea of price and quality you're looking to get into.
  3. Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    What kind of money are you willing to drop? Is there a specific sound you're looking for personally aside from the music you described?

By the music you specified, I'd suggest a nice beefy active bass with a couple humbuckers. Try looking at a few Yamaha, and Ibanez basses for lower end prices. For middle of the road prices, you can check out Warwick and G&L. Those are all good basses for heavier music. As for top end, there are A LOT of opinions on Talkbass. Personally, I have a Fender American Jazz Passive, a Fender American Deluxe Jazz, and a Geddy Lee Jazz. I can still play the heavier stuff like Tool, Faith No More, and Pantera, but I GOTTA have the active.

The head and cabinet is anyone's guess. I have an Avatar 212 cabinet with the Behringer 300w BX3000T head. A lot of people think it's a POS, but for under 200.00, you can't wrong. It's served me great. I also have the Fender Rumble 100. That's a nice combo amp for starting out around the 250-300 dollar price range. It serves as a nice home amp while your rig is sitting at its practice space.

You could also look at Ampeg, Ashdown, and Mesa Boogie. It all depends on the dough you have, but you'll definitely want to try some stuff out.
  4. BadB

May 25, 2005
    Glendale, AZ
    Electric bass: MIA Fender Jazz
    Amp: Ampeg SVT (CL or IIPro) + 8x10 cab

This setup is "arguably" one of the most widely respected in history. Tubes (in most peoples opinions) = tone. The Fender jazz bass goes without saying. Versatile.

Effects: Your choice to fit your style, preference, and needs.

I'm glad you've seen the light. Just don't call it a guitar, it's a bass. :D
  5. I'll say midrange.....I don't want to set a dollar figure 'cause I'm willing to save a little longer if I need to, but since I'm starting out I don't want to get into expensive gear....I'll let the gigging pay for my upgrades.

Current pedalboard

I don't think I know enough about bass yet to know what sound I'm after. I'm hoping to figure it out as I trial some of the gear suggested here.

Consider me sorted out. :)

BTW....what's the difference between a J and P bass? And which is better for a rock/metal bassist?

I was playing a Godin 5-string passive yesterday, and I really liked it. Does anyone have any opinions on it?
  6. jammoore

Mar 28, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Let me preface this by telling you that you are opening up a huge can of worms here by asking this group of gearheads what they would suggest. As in any situation, it's much easier to spend someone else's money. That being said, here comes the first suggestion.

You've got nice gear, you'll want good stuff. The most versatile and cost efficient mid range I can suggest would be a solid American made Fender Highway 1, Geddy Lee series or something in that vain Jazz bass. They are well crafted, great sound and reasonably priced. If you look around, you can find a new one for just under $600. If you check ebay/forsale forums, you can get one for around $400-450.

Ampeg is pretty much an industry standard. The B2r head with a 4x10 cabinet (the lower end version, not bad, just cheaper), you can get it that new for about $900 for it all. Look around for used and you can probably drop that to $500 for the whole thing.

Online used cabinets are a pain to buy. A 4x10 with packing can easily be 100 pounds (welcome to the world of bass) so what looks like a great deal may cost $50 to $75 for shipping.

Pedals, that's a different world to me. I do have a Boss ME50B, sometimes is use a little overdrive, chorus, reverb, but for the most part it's a $300 tuner and volume pedal. I've tried a ton of stuff, but just prefer the tone I've created by buying the right amps and bass, it's just my preference.

Good luck to you on your endeavor. Let us know if you decide to look for something in particular, most of us are pretty plugged into our local communities and always know someone wanting to sell or trade.
  7. Bassstud1

Bassstud1 Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2001
    LaPorte Indiana USA
    How big of a guy are you? If you are over 6' tall and have decent sized hands I would suggest a 6 string bass tuned B-E-A-D-G-B. That way you could use some of your rhythmn, chord knowledge. But if you have smaller hands perhaps you might want to go 4 string. You know what they say... Biig Hands....Big Bass. Good Luck with your endevor in to bass land. Talk bass is a great place to seek others opinions.
  8. ~5'9, but I have long-ish fingers.

I don't know why, but I found the Godin 5-string neck more comfortable than the 4-string...never seen a 6-string around here though.
  9. You already have a Mesa cab so you could go for the Mesa bass cab and head they are really killer stuff. They can do really loud and clean or distorted if you want it. You need way more amp for Bass than you do for guitar so make sure you take that into consideration. Usually 3 times as much power for bass or more depending on how efficient your cab is. As Far as a bass Fender American jazz or p bass. Or check out the Peavey Cirrus basses they are very good for the money. Ampeg Is good and dependable but they tend not to be as articulate as some other amps and cabs. The whole thing is go play and buy what you like the sound and feel of.
  10. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Bass: Lakland 55-94 in blue burst

Amp: Mesa M-Pulse 600

Cab: Mesa Powerhouse 4x10 w/ Mesa Powerhouse 2x12

Effects: Bass Pod XTpro

I'm 2/5s the way there :(
  11. Just doing some research....

Opinions on;

Ampeg SVT 2PRO?

Ampeg SVT 3PRO?

Any other Ampeg you think I should look at?

Mesa M-Pulse 600?

Mesa Bass 400+

Any other Mesa?

Any other amp in general?

I'm looking the hardest at the SVT 2PRO and Bass 400+....but that could just be the guitarist in me thinking tube is better.

Can you drive a Mosfet as hard as a tube, or is it like solid state where you want to stay well below the peak output, or is it somewhere in the middle?

Also...what would be your order of priority?

Ok Bass -> Great Amp

Great Bass -> Ok Amp
  12. Which 2?
  13. Jmann

Apr 29, 2003
    Lexington, Ky
    Id say that would be the perfect rig for anything... cept maybe bluegrass...
  14. strummer

Jul 27, 2005

You want a Stealth Black EBMM Bongo 5 HH, a Mesa 400 head and an Aguilar GS412. Keeep all your funny little boxes from your mislead guitar years; guitarists have always had the funner effects anyway :smug:
  15. But what about my Muff and Rat?

Can't I keep those?

16. don't forget the ampeg SVT cl. 300w all tube.. for the music you will be playing i would say tube is better, more fat and that sweet OD.
  17. strummer

Jul 27, 2005
    That's what I said: Keep them all! :D
  18. jammoore

Mar 28, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    So, you can the deviation beginning. I pointed out a $1000 starter package and we quickly moved to a $3000+ package. Maybe you should redefine the ballpark dollar amount you're looking to spend.

"Opinions on;
    Ampeg SVT 2PRO?
    Ampeg SVT 3PRO?"

I have an SVT 3Pro, very, very happy with it.
  19. SVT II non pro, older version of the 2 Pro, different setup, less add-ons, but a hell of a better sound IMO

i use that with a 4x10 peavey cabs and a 2x15 peavey cab :smug: