Guitarist decided today to quit with a 4 day notice

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Richland123, Feb 7, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    Our guitar player decided to quit with a 4 day notice because of something our drummer/keyboardist/singer requested and the guitarist agreed to do. We have quite a number of gigs booked and don't have anybody to step in on a short notice.

We have had this guitarist for a year. He has done a good job playing wise; but, he does not contribute to anything else with the band other than show up for practice and gigs. He owns nothing but his amp and guitar and does not haul any gear or book gigs at all. He was getting equal pay (we are 3 piece) and he has made a nice sum of money. He stepped into a working, professional band situation and when he joined, he was supposed to contribute to the band but he has not done anything else but kept coming up with excuses why he could not do more.

I do 90% of the bookings, all of the promotions, I own the monitor system, and I haul most of the gear in my van. The drummer/keyboardist/singer owns the P.A. and lights and hauls his drums and part of the P.A. He occasionally books a gig. He and I do the work to run the band.

The drummer/keyboardist/singer stated a few months ago that he should get some money from each gig for supplying the P.A. and lights since he has not previously and he should now. That would help with repairs, cables, etc. too. The guitarist agreed to taking his cut in pay to cover that cost since he does not do anything else for the band and he does not want to own any gear or haul it and he does not want to book any gigs. He wants to do as little as possible. It's either that or we would have to rent a P.A. and lights or pay a sound company.

After only 2 gigs, the guitarist decided that he did not want to contribute financially or work wise to the band and his answer today was to quit this Saturday and walk away from an established band with good paying gigs that he would still make more than being in any other regional band. Plus, we play some high profile festivals and events for very good money as an opening act for national bands or we are the headliner. Now, he will be making no money and not playing.

Now we are high and dry with a couple more gigs this month and no guitarist.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
  2. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    If he already agreed to upcoming gigs, and didn't leave time to get somebody up to speed, he's a d!ck that deserves a bad reference in the future

3. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    I agree. He said two days ago that he would play out our gigs through April and now that he thought about it more he wants to quit Saturday.

4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Inactive

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Yeah it's a balancing act. Sure, everyone after me is going to say he's a Dbag and that's fine. But here's what you have to weigh. You guys changed the deal mid stream. He probably wouldn't have cared if you had been taking a cut all along.

Plus, before we decide how to help you deal with this we need to know own how much of a cut he took. I mean, if he went from averaging $100 a gig to averaging $90 he flipped out for no reason. If he went from making $200 to making $100 or less I would tell you to pound sand too. :D

So, pretty much this was just the guitar player paying a cut to the drummer, correct? You avoided a cut in pay because you book gigs and own equipment, correct?

There are a lot of details still not cleared up here.

5. RyanOh

RyanOh Gold Supporting Member

I agree with Two, maybe he's feeling like it's not equatable or reasonable. He's probably wrong, but instead of dictating the terms of the new deal, ask him what's fair.

If he's approached to give an offer instead of having to agree to new terms, maybe the negotiation gets resolved for the long term. The cost of renting a PA is not what's equatable, but a smaller stipend to cover maintenance should be.

Easiest way to get someone to agree to something is if it's their idea of fairness. I'd ask him.

BBQisgood and BassWaffle like this.
  6. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    No, he agreed day from 1 to contribute either gear wise, booking wise, or hauling wise and did nothing. He knew we were absorbing all the costs and work to keep the band running and he was just looking for a way out to do nothing more.

Financially, he did flip out for no reason. He agreed to do all of this. Nobody twisted his arm to do it. His words were. "I'm fine with it and I don't want to own anything or haul it and I will pay my share." We figure he just wanted to quit anyway and this was his way out.

He had no job and sat home all day doing nothing and he also said he was too tired to load his tiny practice amp and guitar in his truck and drive 5 miles to practice and was did not look forward to loading his regular size amp and guitars for gigs. He said he did not want to practice anymore.

The other guy provides the practice room too and pays to heat it and air condition it and does not get more for that either. I work all day and drive an hour each way for practice.

This guy just turned into a pain and hopefully we will be better off in the long run.

7. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    The saga continues.

The other guy asked him today what he thinks is fair and he said he just does not care to play or practice anymore.

The drummer said even if he would just haul his share of the gear to the gigs everything would be equal and he refused to do that.

He said it was fun and exciting when he started with us but he does not want to do it anymore.

Well, looks like we just got the real reason why he quit and it had nothing to do with the financial agreement.

yodedude2 and HolmeBass like this.
  8. RyanOh

RyanOh Gold Supporting Member

That's too bad, I was hoping he was having fun and just being immature about it.

Sounds like he has other personal issues that interfere with his daily life, could be time to move on.

pudgychef likes this.
  9. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I would have a sit down with the guy today, and try to get him to play out the gigs you have, even if you have to toss him a few extra bones. Is he going to hold you over the coals and try to stick it up your @#[email protected]#[email protected]? Probably. Is it worth it not to lose the gigs? Probably.

Start looking for a new guitarist. Make sure the arrangement is clear up front, and as soon as you get him/her, give the gui**** the boot.

RSBBass and PimasterPearson like this.
  10. Bullitt5135

Bullitt5135

Nov 16, 2010
    SE Michigan
    Man, 4 days notice? That's brutal. Did you ask/beg that he honor his commitments for the next 1-3 gigs while you break in a new guitarist?

11. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    We noticed that he did not seem to be into the band a couple months ago. We wish he would have said something during our slow time that he wanted out and there would be no hard feelings. I guess on the positive side, at least he did not wait until all the big summer gigs to quit and I hope we can have somebody worked in soon.

He just was looking for a way out and he used this issue as his reason instead of telling us he just wanted out for other reasons.

Time to move on.

Ryan6491 likes this.
  12. Kevan Campbell

Kevan Campbell Bergantino Artist, Vibe9 IEM Artist Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    So the situation is that a bassist and drummer wrangle up regular, high-profile, paying gigs, provide the FOH and lighting, transport/set up/tear down all the gear themselves and are now in need of a guitar player (arguably the most plentiful of band musicians) who only has to show up and play with no other obligations?

Something tells me that you guys will be fine once you get a real pro guitarist to fill in temporarily for the most immediate gigs (maybe even longer-term if the tunes and hang is right)...just make sure to iron out the financials before you get your next "regular" guitarist.

Mushroo likes this.
  13. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    The drummer/keyboardist already tried to get him to play through April as he originally agreed to do and even offered him money today to stay on. He said he did not want the money and that it was not important. Then, he told him the real reason he wanted to quit.

14. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    Sounds like you've got a good gig going. After the requisite PITA audition process I'll bet you'll find a good replacement.

15. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Mar 3, 2005
    earth
    He's going to quit Saturday ???!!!!????:eek:
    What after playing a show for pay?
    Naw man, he's quit as of today.
    Your drummer plays keys
    You just need another drummer or keyboardist right now.
    Tell the guitarist to hit the bricks.
    It's good you found out sooner than later.

EdO. likes this.
  16. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Dec 21, 2012
    Give him anything he wants to do the gigs on the calendar as you look for his replacement. When you find it, let him go on the spot.

17. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    Dead wood, if his heart isn't into it. I just don't understand (if you've been up front and reasonable all along) why someone can't just say that they're losing steam before committing to things. That bugs me.

Clark Dark likes this.
  18. Define good money?

19. If this is in truth the case I'd think it would be pretty easy to attract a good replacement guitarist. You're definitely better off without this dead weight not-a-real-musician. Sucks to go through but I'm confident you'll be much better off once you work through it.

Clark Dark likes this.
  20. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Sounds like your former guitarist may be clinically depressed. Which isn't your problem, strictly speaking, and the band is a business. But it jibes with what he describes.
    Start right away finding another guitarist. If you guys are working that much, you should be able to attract a pro who can pick up the songs quick.