1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Guitarist in transition!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by YsbrydYrAfon, Oct 3, 2009.

1. Hi,I'm guessing you get this question or variations of it quite often,so my apologies.Anyway,I'm a (or was a ;) ) guitarist and quite a good one,but a month or so ago I've been hooked after playing around on my friends bass:bassist:
    I can read bass clef,know chord construction and have a teacher etc.....so the question is-Which bass would you reccomend for a newbie?
    My budget is somewhat low as I'm only 15,so something under £350 would be great:)Thats about $420 I think:confused:

Thanks in advance
    Morgan

Diolch yn fawr iawn:D,
    mae hyn ar hap,ond oes yna Cymry a'r y fforwm ma'?
    Os mae-croeso!Llongyfarch fi ar fy mhost gyntaf!;)

2. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    Squier- most of their new models are getting VERY good reviews around here. The Vintage Modified and Classic Vibe series instruments seem to be the most versatile.

Also, there are some very good Ibanez models that are usually very well priced.

Lastly, try the classified section here on TB. Even though you're in the UK (Wales?) you should still have a chance to find some decent listings for used gear on your side of the pond.

Good luck and welcome to the Low End!

3. WookieeForLife

WookieeForLife

Sep 30, 2008
    PA.
    My squier standard series bass sounds amazing and looks it too. Cost me $270 USD. Sounded the best for the cash.

Also a +1 on the Ibanez basses.

4. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    +1 on the Squier suggestions.

Their new product lines are not regarded as Fender's junk brand anymore.

I'd recommend the Classic Vibe '50s Precision bass or the Classic Vibe 60s Jazz bass.

Nice quality basses to start on, until you can find out what kind/brand of bass will suit you maybe better later in your career.

5. Squier Vintage Modified P bass is great! I got mine for $250 at GC

6. Thanks mate:DI appreciate the advice;)
    Yes I'm from Wales-how did you guess lol:rolleyes::D
    Thanks again
    Morgan

7. Ezbass

Ezbass

Apr 3, 2008
    U.K.
    +1 Absolutely killer basses for the money

There is an upgraded Classic Vibe Jazz for sale on the UK Bass Chat site right now.

Welcome to the low end.

8. Do what this gentleman says and pick up one of those basses!

I would also highly recommend the Squier Vintage Modified or Classic Vibe line of basses.

I've played both and absolutely loved them. I have a Fender American Standard Jazz Bass that's worth $1500, and I can honestly say the $300 Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass I played was if not as good, very very close the Fender.

Go for the Squier Vintage Modified or Classic Vibe, you can't go wrong! :D:bassist:

9. BassMan7530

BassMan7530

May 2, 2009
    I would have to agree on the suggestions of Ibanez Basses. I have played a lot of Ibanez Basses in the low- and mid-priced ranges, and they are impressive. Always loved the sound and especially the feel of them, too. I own a 6-string Ibanez (SR506), and I can't say I've played many 6-er's in a similar price range that are of the same quality. Go to some local shops and try some out, I'm sure you'll love 'em.

10. the general

the general

Jul 8, 2008
    I also agree with ibanez suggestions. I find them to be a reasonable bass and sound good. also you maybe able to find a schecter for reasonable price. i play a schecter elite 5 string i got mine for $400 and i love it. but you got to shop, shop, shop.