Guitarist is taking over

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Abr@hamBassBoy, Mar 2, 2003.

1. What should one do when the guitarist of the band starts to take over?? He is starting to change it all entirely... Nowadays a guitar solo is of greater importance than the song in general... What should I do??? i am desperate
  2. Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Some of the things I used to do:

Switch to 9/8s for his solo. Just when he finally gets it, switch to 7/8s.

Learn to play his solo, but twice as fast

Get a very powerful amp and drown him

3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Tell him you don't like Butt-Rawk, then quit and find a better band.
  4. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I agree.

I am fortunate..the guitarist in my new band we're putting togather is like.."dude, we gotta give you a bunch of solo time, that's sweet" :D I ain't very good so
  5. By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Listen to 'Dirty Deeds" by AC/DC, you should be able to get a few ideas.
  6. LOL :D

Yeah...get a 6 string bass and double everything he does..twice as fast...and even build upon the solo..that'll shut him up!!
  7. "A guitar player once tried to solo for 15 minutes. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice Chianti."
  8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

9. I also like the mad time signature idea. I'd try that with my band except the drummer doesn't like anything that isn't 4/4. :(

PS, I know 9/8 isn't mad.
  10. I think that 'kill him' is a tiny bit extreme.

How about just breaking his fingers on one hand by asking him to help you move your bass rig and then dropping it on his hand, see how he plays while they mend.

Bet you don't get to many guitar solos.;) :D

Peace as always and good will to all people [even guitarists]

11. That kinda happened to a guitarist I play with; he was very drunk after a gig (what a surprise:rolleyes: ) and he dropped his huge Marshall combo thing on the fingers of his fretting hand as he was carrying it up some stairs.

He had to play with three fingers for about two months, and now, six months later, it's still not up to full strength.

Just a precautionary tale.:cool:
  12. Take over the band and kick him out. Then, practice a lot and make it big without him. It will really make him mad.
  13. With my drummer, 4/4 is a mad time signature. :meh:
  14. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Get a guitarist transplant.
  15. let him.

but add in a bass solo that kicks his solo's butt.
  16. OneCoolDog

Oct 15, 2002
    Alabama, USA
    If he doesn't burn out or something, tell him he's too good for you and kick him out to help him on his "solo career."
  17. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

I feel your pain... my friend who plays drums wants to jam with me all the time... he's a beginner. It's rough for me, I mean... he's not terrible for a beginner... ugh.
  18. My drummer ain't no beginner. :bawl:
  19. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I just thought of a great idea about the guitarist. Punch him until he promises to stop.