1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

guitarist Jumping on to bass too,.....string suggestions

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by koni, Sep 24, 2008.

1. koni

koni

May 29, 2008
    Hi I have an used sx jazz bass which Im really happy with but Im going to put on a guitarfetish bridge and new strings. So I would love some suggestions of good strings to put on. Thanks for your input!

2. What kind of sound are you going for =P.

3. koni

koni

May 29, 2008
    If I really knew what I was doing I could tell you. Just and all around good sound. long lasting strings

4. Well there's a lot of good sounds to get....bass isn't as tone-specific as guitar at all. Maybe find a bass tone on youtube you like?

Ernie Ball strings seem to last quite a while, at least as far as I can tell. They sound good in most applications, and are relatively inexpensive.

Flatwound strings last as long as you want to leave them on (years, possibly decades), but you may not like them at all...most feel like steel rods compared to normal strings and have a much more mellow sound to them. There's no string noise from sliding your fingers on them at all, if that's an issue.

5. david fitch

david fitch

Feb 20, 2007
    D'Addario XL 165 Nickelwound. I use these strings and they cover alot of ground,warm,thumpy or brite and snappy.

6. ^ Agreed, D'addarrio is a a good brand for that...about as affordable as EB too.