Guitarist looking for small scale 5 or 6 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by joe_cool_72, May 10, 2005.

1. joe_cool_72

May 10, 2005
    I'm a guitarist looking to take up bass. I was looking into smaller scale 5 or 6 string basses. I plan to tune like a guitar (low string to E) and use some of the chord shapings and picking styles that I've developed on guitar. I'd like something that can get a nice punchy funk tone and also gets a nice sound when slapping.... hoping to stay around $500... any insight is appreciated.
  2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    The instrument you're looking for is called a "Baritone Guitar".
  3. joe_cool_72

May 10, 2005
    yea... I've played on a couple of Baritones and while they were nice, I'm looking for something that can support the thicker bass strings...
  4. Hella_Groovy

Aug 31, 2004
    Richmond Va
    Try a Fender Bass VI, and I believe musicman also makes one. Theres a Baritone LP too, but its out of your price range I'm sure.
  5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I don't know if you're going to find a short or medium scale "bass" set up for 5 or 6 string usage. The "B" string requires the 34 inch scale to work. At shorter scale lengths the "E" string barely works.
  6. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    You may find what you're looking for....but not for as little as $500. Heck, finding a good 6-string bass at the $500 PERIOD is difficult, as options are somewhat limited. I believe Warwicks have the option for their bolt on 4's and 5's to have scale length necks of 32." They only offer an optional 30" scale neck on their bolt-on 4's.

Basically, if you want a medium scale ERB, you'll have to pay a nice chunk of change for them, either for a factory bass like Warwick, or to an independent luthier like Nordstrand or something.

It is possible to get a good medium scale ERB that sounds articulate rather than muddy...but you're going to have to shell out a LOT more than $500 for it.

I think your best bet would be an Ernie Ball Music Man Silhouette "bass" guitar. Its 29 5/8" scale length makes it longer than a baritone guitar, but still shorter than a short scale bass.