1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Guitarist plunging into the deep end....

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Aahzz, Aug 30, 2008.

1. Aahzz

Aahzz

Aug 28, 2008
    Hi Gang,

This seems like the right section to introduce myself (I'm sure I've missed an "Introduce Yourself" section, but oh well!). Been playing guitar for 15 years or so, mainly rhythm - never got into soloing much. Decided recently I wanted to do some home recording, so last Saturday picked up a Squier Affinity J-Bass. Have been playing it non-stop all week, and LOVING it. Bass is FUN.

jbass1.

Started thinking more. been looking to get a casual "dad band" kinda thing going for a while, but am overrun with guitarists, and have found a good number of drummers.....but few bassists. Hmm. I'm digging playing bass....

So, I've decided to woodshed and get my bass chops together, and try my hand at the low end. Went to the GC labor day sale and found they had a decent discount of the GK Backline stuff - so, grabbed a Backline 600 head for $249 and a backline 410 cab for $199....now I have a rig!!

gk1.

Had just a ton of fun blasting through that this afternoon - a new musical adventure awaits!!!! I look forward to hangin' here and learning more from the experienced bass crowd.....

2. Kimpini

Kimpini

May 14, 2008
    Indiana
    another guitarist roped in by bass!

3. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Welcome! There's nothing like feeling that low-end rumble when you play. Bass IS fun! :D

4. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Hang on to your wallet. Your about to be introduced to a whole new world full of really nice stuff you never would have known about until you found us.

I don't know about this "dad's band" crap, I'm 47, one guitarist is 37, the drummer, singer and other guitarist are all 27.
    WE ROCK!!!!:bassist:

5. Hi there, welcome aboard :)

+1

6. Aahzz

Aahzz

Aug 28, 2008
    Oh, don't get me wrong, I rock, and rock hard - dad band or not!!! I had just read that term in an article, and it described what I'm looking for - other guys that have day jobs and lives, but still need to rock.

I'm 40, by the way :).

7. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    With my last band, my wife called it a 'therapy band' because we played to keep ourselves sane.

8. Aahzz

Aahzz

Aug 28, 2008
    Yeah, that sounds about right. I generally get a couple hours every weekend with the wife and kids out of the house during which I can open my rig up, and we refer to that as "volume therapy".

9. Welcome to Bass World!

Another one roped into bass!

10. Guest043

Guest043 Guest

Apr 8, 2008
    :bassist:

i have nothing more to add.

11. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

You have a lot of topics and homework to do:

groove
    Duck Dunn
    James Jamerson
    growl
    G.A.S.
    fingerstyle/pick
    hanging in the mix
    drummer lock
    checking the oil in the band van
    emailing everyone to make it happen

and after you have it all, there is
    Being In The Zone

Welcome to the long journey.
    Live long and groove.

PS
    Do not wake up the dragons in the DB section,
    that brimstone smell gets a little funky up here.

:)

12. Aahzz

Aahzz

Aug 28, 2008
    Well, I've already got a head start on GAS - just ask Mrs. Aahzz :)

13. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    What took you so long?:confused:

14. Yeah, there be pits of flamers there.

15. ibnzneksrul

ibnzneksrul

Feb 2, 2007
    So Cal
    That's the.....'bottom line' (groan!) right there. :D