Guitarist quit the day of a gig.

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by TheJetsFan4Eva, Jul 29, 2013.

1. TheJetsFan4Eva

TheJetsFan4Eva

Apr 4, 2012
    So my band had decided to play a show in Alabama which is a good 3 hours away from where I live. Knowing this we all decided that we would save money for gas to get there and come back. We also decided to practice and write a couple songs before we left. Keep in mind that we booked this show a month in advance. So my drummer and I had been frequently getting together and writing songs but of course my guitarist decided to hang out with his gf and other things that weren't important to the show. Let's fast forward to the day before the show. My drummer and I are waiting for our guitarist to get there because his car is the only car that can fit all of our stuff. He said he would show up at 8pm and learn all the guitar parts I wrote for him. I was a little upset about this but it's whatever, i just wanted this day to be over with. Come 11pm my drummer decides to call our guitarist. He then tells us that he doesn't want to play the show and that my drummer and i would have to find a way to get to Alabama. We were furious, confused and a bit heartbroken because our good friend is doing this to us. My drummer decides to have his dad drive us(who just got back from canada) at 5pm. We were stressing out because the show was at 8pm and we went on at 9. Everything seemed to be falling apart and just when we thought things couldn't get any worse, his dad's car broke down on the Georgia/Alabama line. At this point we thought about giving up, it seemed as though everything and everybody was urging us to quit. Soon enough my drummer's dad was begging us to go home with him and saying the show wasn't worth it. My drummer made calls after calls to see if anybody could us up. no one picked the phone up, let alone us. At this point we lost all hope, until our buddy matt said that he was 35 minutes away from where we were. Let me tell you, that was the longest half hour i have ever experienced. Soon enough though, matt comes driving by grinning at our crappy luck. We had no choice but to leave about half our gear because it wouldn't fit. Matt takes us to the gig and we realize that because our guitarist quit and we have no real setlist. I told my drummer not to worry and that i would try my best to cover all the guitar parts. We get up and start playing with everything we had, the frustration of being without a guitarist and everything that happened to us this weekend really brought out the best in us IMO. We had only been playing together for a month but it didn't feel like it when i was playing front of those people. I felt like Geddy Lee or Jaco or any of my other idols. I felt like I had accomplished something when everything and everybody was against us. I felt great. This video is us playing a song without our guitarist. The beginning is rough but we willed through to make it really good. That's my story about my first out of state gig TB i hope you enjoyed it. Any advice on my playing would be very cool.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=BICuTqjajWo

2. TheJetsFan4Eva

TheJetsFan4Eva

Apr 4, 2012
    I'd be pretty upset if this thread never kicks up xD

3. TheJetsFan4Eva

TheJetsFan4Eva

Apr 4, 2012
    Sorry i posted this twice, i accidentally posted it in band management when it should be here :/ anyways....
    So my band had decided to play a show in Alabama which is a good 3 hours away from where I live. Knowing this we all decided that we would save money for gas to get there and come back. We also decided to practice and write a couple songs before we left. Keep in mind that we booked this show a month in advance. So my drummer and I had been frequently getting together and writing songs but of course my guitarist decided to hang out with his gf and other things that weren't important to the show. Let's fast forward to the day before the show. My drummer and I are waiting for our guitarist to get there because his car is the only car that can fit all of our stuff. He said he would show up at 8pm and learn all the guitar parts I wrote for him. I was a little upset about this but it's whatever, i just wanted this day to be over with. Come 11pm my drummer decides to call our guitarist. He then tells us that he doesn't want to play the show and that my drummer and i would have to find a way to get to Alabama. We were furious, confused and a bit heartbroken because our good friend is doing this to us. My drummer decides to have his dad drive us(who just got back from canada) at 5pm. We were stressing out because the show was at 8pm and we went on at 9. Everything seemed to be falling apart and just when we thought things couldn't get any worse, his dad's car broke down on the Georgia/Alabama line. At this point we thought about giving up, it seemed as though everything and everybody was urging us to quit. Soon enough my drummer's dad was begging us to go home with him and saying the show wasn't worth it. My drummer made calls after calls to see if anybody could us up. no one picked the phone up, let alone us. At this point we lost all hope, until our buddy matt said that he was 35 minutes away from where we were. Let me tell you, that was the longest half hour i have ever experienced. Soon enough though, matt comes driving by grinning at our crappy luck. We had no choice but to leave about half our gear because it wouldn't fit. Matt takes us to the gig and we realize that because our guitarist quit and we have no real setlist. I told my drummer not to worry and that i would try my best to cover all the guitar parts. We get up and start playing with everything we had, the frustration of being without a guitarist and everything that happened to us this weekend really brought out the best in us IMO. We had only been playing together for a month but it didn't feel like it when i was playing front of those people. I felt like Geddy Lee or Jaco or any of my other idols. I felt like I had accomplished something when everything and everybody was against us. I felt great. This video is us playing a song without our guitarist. The beginning is rough but we willed through to make it really good. That's my story about my first out of state gig TB i hope you enjoyed it. Any advice on my playing would be very cool.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=BICuTqjajWo

4. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Were you being paid to play this show? What was your goal in playing a show three hours away? Did you play for a large audience? Have you guys been together long?

It's not really my type of music, and it seemed at times that you and the drummer were playing two completely different songs.

codycon96 likes this.
  5. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Mount Prospect, IL
    Crazy story and great job sticking through it! Sounds like you have a good drummer on your hands. Can you post a different link for youtube? For me, it just goes to the home screen and not to the video.

6. TheJetsFan4Eva

TheJetsFan4Eva

Apr 4, 2012
    paid $20 and we were able to play for a big local band. our word is bond, skipping the gig wasn't an option. and at what parts? i'll try my best to improve it.

7. TheJetsFan4Eva

TheJetsFan4Eva

Apr 4, 2012
  8. Glad everything worked out in the end. That was really inconsiderate of your guitarist to back out at literally the last minute and leave you stranded the way he did.
    As for the performance, I detected a little bit of a modern-day Geddy Lee tone in your bass and the song itself reminded me of Rush's instrumental "Malignant Narcissism". All I can say is: Nice :)

9. TheJetsFan4Eva

TheJetsFan4Eva

Apr 4, 2012
    thank you very much that means a lot. I was actually listening to Hemispheres and Clockwork Angels on the way there so that might of been it! haha

10. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    I nominate the guitarist in question for Douche of the Year.

Seen a lot of douchey behavior in my time but not anything to top that.

codycon96 likes this.
  11. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Is the band you opened for big in your local market, or in the market three hours away? How is playing this gig going to benefit you in the future?

12. thetaxmiser

thetaxmiser Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2002
    Sonoma County, CA, USA
    The links just take me to the homepage. whatever, I give you guys a HUGE thumbs up for perseverance. The show must go on!

13. TheJetsFan4Eva

TheJetsFan4Eva

Apr 4, 2012
    Band is called Ha the Titans. They have a good following and bring in about 20-30 people each show. We made some connections with them and plan on playing more shows with them. Very cool people. Also my drummer and I have only been playing shows for a month and we already have a decent amount of people seeing us play on the regular. At this point, we just want exposure.

14. TheJetsFan4Eva

TheJetsFan4Eva

Apr 4, 2012
    really sorry about that but thank you very much. it means a lot

15. TheJetsFan4Eva

TheJetsFan4Eva

Apr 4, 2012
  16. TheJetsFan4Eva

TheJetsFan4Eva

Apr 4, 2012
    Hail the Titans*

17. bluewine

bluewine Inactive

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    I'm not sure why a band in this early development stage would want to play a gig 3 hours away.

From your story, it seems you should have known your guitarist was not interested.

What kind if gig was this, I couldn't tell if there was any people there from the video clip.Is it supposed to be free form jazz or a jam band improvisation sort of thing.

My advice, don't book any gigs 3 hours away.

Blue

18. antoniolopez90

antoniolopez90

Mar 6, 2011

I think this is it? Moonlight - Delphinium. Studio B 7/26/13

Agreed good perseverence! But I dont think I would have the chops to pull something like that off lol.

19. TheJetsFan4Eva

TheJetsFan4Eva

Apr 4, 2012
    We feel like we have what it takes to make a name for ourselves. So us being early in development may be questionable but i like the idea of people being able to see us grow on stage. a good bit of people here, about 20-40. believe it or not, where i live that is insane for a local band.

20. TheJetsFan4Eva

TheJetsFan4Eva

Apr 4, 2012
    you got it! thanks for the link and oh stop it you haha

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021