1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

guitarist trouble

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by bass guy, Apr 25, 2006.

1. bass guy

bass guy

Apr 17, 2006
    i have a little problem me and my freinds want to strt a band but we have like people who want to play guitar when we have a drummer who doesent even own a drumset (he play in the school band and at his cousins house) are other person that wants to play the drums hasnt even played before and none of the guitarist know drums i mean ive heard of 3 guitarist in a band but not 5 and they all bassiscally all have the same skill level i mean i dont even no what muysic they were playing because u only need rythm and lead what sould i do

2. Well, I think I understood some of what you typed.

For goodness sake, if someone wants to be in a band, they at least have to actually own or have posession of, the instrument they want to play. It's kind of hard to play drums if don't, you know, have a drum kit. What is he expecting to do? Play on pots and pans?

You don't need to have five guitarists...hell, by the way it sounds, you probably don't need two. Having multiple guitarists is only going to confuse things at this point, especially since it sounds like you don't even know what kind of band or structure you're going to have at this point. Pick the best, easiest to work with guitarist and go with him/her.

Good luck.

3. bass guy

bass guy

Apr 17, 2006
    thanks sorry i type a little carelessly

4. The more instruments in a band, the more skill and coordination you need.

Best way is to start off with a 3 piece band, get sounding alright and THEN add in a rythm guitarist. If you want to play songs which come from 4 piece bands, improvise a bit and split the load between you and the guitarist.

I'm doing the same thing as you at the moment (I asume) and playing in a school band (we formed outside of school but affiliated outselves with the school rock group so we could use their prac rooms) and it is hard when you dont have all the proper equipment, but alas: Drummers need kits! Pracing at school can only get you so far.

Also, when we were forming we had the typical groupie freinds asking to sing, or play bass one what not (yes, while I was there they were trying to cut me out). My advice: only get people who are solid players. ESPECIALY drummers. A band can get by on an average guitarist or a bass player, but if the drummers not tight the song will fall to bits.

5. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    +1!!!

Gonna have to be a bit hard, with the groupie types. Tell them they are certainly free to form their own bands, and you can all support each other, but this is *your* gig.

Cherie