1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Guitarist turned bassist 15 years ago, asked to play guitar in band!

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by DeaconBlues09, Feb 10, 2016.

1. Found out about this position 2 days ago. They have a bassist and need a better guitarist.

Spent the last two days digging up gear, trying to redapt from my L-2500 Tribby to those tiny frets and six strings.

First rehearsal in 15 minutes.

Over the last days I got to about 90 percent proficiency on Californication, Losing my Religion, and a couple of other songs. Still have 25 percent to go on the solos for Comfortably Numb.

Wish me luck!

Mattrill, aaronious and Torrente Cro like this.
  2. ak56

ak56 Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2015
    Carnation, Wa
    Traitor!:rollno:

No, really Good Luck.:thumbsup:

tmw likes this.
  3. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
    Good luck traitor...:meh:

aaronious and CatSquare like this.
  4. twinjet

twinjet Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    When they marvel at how great you play and sound, look the bass player in the eye and whisper "I'm coming for you next".

smeet, pcake, mj_ and 10 others like this.
  5. Lobomov

Lobomov

Aug 2, 2013
    Cool :)

6. How'd it go ?
    Bet ya whooped ass.
    Hope you took your bass too.

DeaconBlues09 likes this.
  7. Best. Comment. Ever.

You, Sir, have won the internet for the day! :smug:

pcake and twinjet like this.
  8. It went better than I expected.

Though I gotta say, half the time I was dying to snatch the bass right out of the bassist's hands!

9. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Agreed. That was pretty funny.

Old Blastard and twinjet like this.
  10. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I recently got asked to pick up a guitar again, and got a bit excited. It never wound up happening though. Kinda glad. Guitar is a lot harder than bass. Especially in a cover band.

11. Totally. Take the song Comfortably Numb for instance, the bass part could be played by someone who picked up the bass 6 months prior, as long as they have a decent sense of time, but the guitar solos-even the slow one, requires so much precision with the bending and phrasing...every flub stands out like a gunshot. :thumbsdown:

Joe Nerve likes this.
  12. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    But people will still argue :).

13. Argue what?

14. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Bass isn't easier than guitar.

15. Yeah, I was kind of doing that whole deferential, almost even bordering on politically correct thing ever since I joined TB. But now that I've been trying to fill a guitarist's shoes again, I have to say: F*** that!

Guitar is relatively HARD!!!!

16. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    Yup. I played bass for 25 years, switched to guitar and had to resist the urge to offer 'helpful' suggestions to our bass players. After 10 years I switched back to bass. I rarely offer 'helpful' suggestions to gui****s.

17. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    It's all hard to do well. Bass is just easier to half-ass your way through. It's not easy to keep the groove, lock with the drummer, support the gui****ist and singer all at the same time.

18. So true!!! After the rehearsal, the drummer asked me "so what do you think, would you want to play with us?"

I asked "Well, do you think I have what to offer you guys"? (I was fishing here, :smug: not very mature, I know)

He kind of raised an eyebrow, almost incredulously, glanced at me sideways and said "compared to the rest of us, your a relatively advanced player."

I breathed a sigh of relief and blurted out "well since you noticed that, I really need to discuss the bass player's issues with his note placement,..he has no concept of dotted triplets vs. straight eighths." or some such, and I'm all over the place pointing out where and how each player needs to improve. Then I shut up.

He holds my gaze meaningfully for a moment and says,.. "Yeah, I would wait until after a few more rehearsals before dispensing advice to everyone like that."

Maybe it's my ego, but I kinda took that as a compliment! :D

19. Dunno, the way I see it the bass player, and the drummer, are absolutely forbidden to half-ass (as bass players we have one job!)

When you're busting out a SRV-esque solo when covering Superstition, and you go from compound bends at the open position, to 32 note flurries between the 12th and 19th frets, all within the space of a handful of bars, you can be forgiven for not hitting that augmented fifth in note number 2,353 in a 24 bar solo.

What's the bassist's excuse?

20. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    TalkBASS, not TalkGUITAR. Don't let the door hit ya, jerkface! :spit: