Guitarist turned Bassist

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fugitive_Mind, Mar 2, 2005.

1. Fugitive_Mind

Mar 2, 2005

I am turning over to bass after playing guitar for almost 3 years. I prefer bass although I can shred good on guitar.

I have heard that me playing guitar would give me an edge over bass and having already strong fingers (and FAST) I would be good at bass I am going to save up for a bass though I dont know what one to get I play mostly megadeth stuff maybe fender or esp?? And I would appreciate it if I got some replys on re-doing my style for both fingers and pick. Thanks.
  2. dont expect to just pick up a bass and be amazing at it, although you can play guitar and some of what you know can be helpful the tech is really very different and you will have a lot to get used to like the thicker strings, longer neck and heavier instrument itself. anyway hope you enjoy it and have fun - welcome to talkbass
  3. Check out the Technique section
  4. Fugitive_Mind

Mar 2, 2005
    yeah I guessed that anyhow I have alot to accustom to.
  5. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    one thing thats gonna happen is FFFFRRREEETTT buzz... it takes a hell of alot more pressure ... fingering will be harsh at the start but after a while and weight will hurt and you will find out yourself but go for it its a great community and welcome to TB
  6. I have yet to hear a former guitarist playing bass who didn't SOUND like a former guitarist playing bass, but the best of luck with it anyway.

I think the best advice I could give you would be to constantly remind yourself that less IS more - don't overplay.

All IMHO of course.

:) :)
  7. pil

Feb 17, 2005
    Pimlico, UK
    Well...i picked up the bass because i was rubbish at the guitar and now im great on the bass. If you can play guitar i expect bass will come very easily to you, theres no secret to it - like some would have you believe...

Dont mean to cause offence but people do take it all a bit seriously here...
  8. You might come to like some different music. You can't go wrong with a Fender. I personnally hate esp basses.

You will have to stretch your fingers more in your left hand.

If you are serious about learning bass, you should learn to play fingerstyle. Playing with a pick is okay in many situations, but playing fingerstyle is always appropriate.
  9. what do you mean take it serisouly?? how can you not bass is a way of life, you have to learn to eat, sleep, breath bass it is more then just an instrument it is your best friend! you have to give bass all the respect it demands or you will fail as a bassest!!!!!!!

just kidding

or am i?

10. Fugitive_Mind

Mar 2, 2005
    thanks for all this advice I will check out a fender jazz bass looks nice. Is it okay to play on the clean channel of a guitar amp untill I buy a bass amp??
  11. it won't sound that good, and i wouldn't crank it up that much because you'll most likely ruin the speakers if you do, it think it might be ok at low volumes though
  12. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    First off that will blow your speakers if you have it up a 1/4 volume, It may be more or less but a bass in a Guitar cab = blown speakers...

And here is a quote I like, I dont remember who said it...

"Bass is the easiest instrument to start, but it is the hardest instrument to master"
  13. Fugitive_Mind

Mar 2, 2005
    so should I get a bass amp before a bass or just put on a bass extension cab onto my guitar amp??
  14. I wouldn't take a Jazz to play stuff like Megadeth (one of my favorite bands, absolutely great live). I never played ESP, but I think anything with EMG humbuckers would be a good choice to play metal.
  15. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    That person never played a theremin. :D

To the original poster, the thing you will have to work at is creating clean solid notes. The average git player has a some fret buzz when they play bass, but after a little practice it should come to you.

Just like with git; it is as hard as you make it, but for the most part it is a pretty simple instrument. Just find a pocket and lay in it and embellish when appropiate; not just whenever.
  16. Fugitive_Mind

Mar 2, 2005
    well I appreciate all of these posts and I have found my first bass amp and bass

Amp: Laney HCM15B (Always loved Laney)

Bass: Peavey Grind Bass BXP NTB 4 string
    (Nice specs for the price)

Thanks for all your replys and I will get these in a few months when I have the money..
  17. Fugitive_Mind

Mar 2, 2005
    so what should I buy first a bass and "Dry" learn songs or an amp??
  18. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Buy the bass... playing without an amp is good for finger strength. You'll make yourself pluck and fret harder in order to hear yourself.

Go out and buy a bass from a shop, used is often a great deal. As a guitarist you should know what you like in an instrument, get a feel. Last time I bought something sight unseen the neck was way different than I expected.
  19. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    IMO, one thing to remember:

As the Bassist you will not only be responsible the harmonic fundamental, but also providing the tempo as well. It varies with what style of music but usually you(the bassist) and the drummer share timekeeping duties. Spend at least 50% of your practice time with a metronome, because the bass is bigger than the guitar your time may not be as good as you think it is. As a side note, if you happen to get an active bass you can plug headphones directly into it, it won't sound great but you will hear EVERYTHING and it can go a long way tward cleaning up your sound, anyone out there that remembers their first time in a studio plugging in direct knows what I'm talking about...
    (p.s. NO PICKS)
  20. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    You should get an Essex Jazz bass, They are DIRT cheap and GREAT quality for the price. @ $130 ish

Practice amp of your choice, @ $250 ish and there you got a good setup.

Good luck.