1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

guitarist turned bassist

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by derationalize, Sep 25, 2008.

1. derationalize

derationalize

Sep 25, 2008
    Alright...so I'm a rhythm guitarist that decided to pick up the bass since bass players are hard to come by in my region. I started playing with a metal band with a drummer who loves double bass and 2 guitar players who play 7 stringed guitars, so I need to get some commanding bass to fill the really lower registers.

I have an Ampeg SVT-400T on hand to use but I for now I'm stuck using one of my guitar cabs with it. I don't have too much cash to play with and I was wanting to save a bit for a nicer 5 string than what I currently have.
    I was thinking of getting 2 Acoustic B115 250w 1x15 Bass Cabinets...they run at 8 ohms each. How would I wire this? Would this be able to bring out what this ampeg should be able to do and convince the guitarists to turn their bass knobs down a bit?

2. That'd sound darn good IMO. Simply run the cabs either both outta the amp or 'daisy-chain' the cabs- outa amp into one then from that cab into the other cab. Either way w/ 2x8ohm cabs it'll give U 4 ohms

3. I'd say get a 2x10 or 4x10 instead of a second 15.

4. derationalize

derationalize

Sep 25, 2008
    I found an Ampeg BSE115T cabinet at a pawn shop today...the pawn guy said he'd give it to me for $160...is that a better idea than getting a brand new Acoustic 15" cab for $120? Does this Ampeg cab have a horn? More output than the acoustic? Would I be basically paying for a brand name?

And also, wouldn't a 4x10 cab be too midrangey and walk all over the lower mids of the guitar players since they're all downtuned anyways? Seems to me that it would be easier to find my spot in the sound by exaggerating the lows with 15s and letting the horns do their job of filling out the rest.

Boy this gear stuff was easier back in guitar land, where I already know who's right and which salesmen are full of crap. :meh:

5. Midrangey? No not at all. The bass has more to do with the cabinet size than the driver.
    But 10's are more punchy and articulate because the drivers have less inertia to deal with.

David Nordschow can explain it better than I can...
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/document?doc_id=101761
    about half way thru the interview he compares 10's with 15's

and ... Welcome to the dark side. :cool:

6. fetfet

fetfet

Apr 13, 2008
    Toronto, ON
    It's mine, and many other people's opinion that an amp holds sway over amp vs. bass concerns. I'f your current bass is playable, then focus on your amp. I'd suggest getting the Ampeg cab, as they have a reputation for good fundamentals and bass tone. But pair that cab(1x15" IIRC) with a 4x10 for some more clarity and less boominess.

7. 10's arent more punchy inherrantly. they get that reputation because many 15's are in badly designed boxes, and have a huge hump in the low mids making them sound pretty muddy. if its a properly designed cab, the speaker size means nothing. the only thing it can mean is off axis response, but a 15 is better than 4 10's in a square arrangement.

get a cab that you like the sound of, and if possibly try the gear in a band situation.

8. Excerpt from the interview...

9. derationalize

derationalize

Sep 25, 2008
    The main thing to look for then is a cab that is properly desgined then, seeing as I got a very good deal for an amp and can't switch that out. Does anyone know how the Acoustic brand cabinets perform? If I don't get those I'm stuck pawn shop hunting.

10. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    My take: 15"s usually sound like crap. I've had several, never liked them. 12"s or 10"s are the way to go.

11. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    how much you wanna spend?

if you want to punch thru anything, the smaller the driver, the faster the speakers move, the punchier and tighter your sound will be in the stage mix.

for your needs, i say start out with a pair of used Eden XLT410's. more than enough kickyouintheface.

FYI, its a good... no GREAT idea to read the Amp FAQ stickie that ivanmike has posted at the top of this lounge.

12. derationalize

derationalize

Sep 25, 2008
    That's why I was looking at the Acoustic brand...a 1x15 is only $120 after my discount. I guess I'm on my own. Time to buy random cabs until it's loud enough! :D

13. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I used a pair of Yorkville Sound 1x15 cabinets for many years of gigging powered by a GK 400RB. One speaker was enough for small clubs even though the amp only put out 125 watts into 8 ohms. Two cabinets for bigger rooms. They don't sound slow or muddy. Not the best for slapping but I don't need that for paying gigs. I used a 4x10 before that. Didn't like it and it was heavier.

The Yorkvilles (now Traynor Dynabass) are not expensive cabinets at all. Nowhere near what you'd pay for Eden or SWR. But they sound good and stand up to hard gigging.

I don't know if the Acoustic 15 is as good as the Yorkville or Traynor. I haven't seen any yet up here in Canada. But if you can actually buy one and don't like it you can return it. That's the only way you'll know.

14. latkingz781

latkingz781

Apr 26, 2008
    Awesome rig, wish i had the money.

15. derationalize

derationalize

Sep 25, 2008
    My roommate gave it to me for $100. :D
    Too bad I don't make good money, or I would splurge and get good cabs.

16. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    One other thing you should keep in mind - for down the road when you invest in a serious, fully professional bass rig: Bass takes several times as much reserve power as guitar (or any other amplified instrument) in order to "compete" successfully in the mix - particularly for an extended-range bass (with low "B" or lower) played loud.

So in your case, playing with two seven-string guitarists and a loud drummer with a double bass kit is ideally going to require a lot more than 500 watts @ 4 ohms in order to achieve sonic parity - unless your guys are sensitive and responsive to volume dynamics and/or you compensate for any deficiencies in the sound with your PA mix - which, if you're a typical band, they probably don't.

Getting your guitarists to EQ their sound in order to remove the excess low end, and to keep the volume reasonable relative to the power available for the bass is the ideal solution. But for serious, large venue gigging with the band at full crank, I'd want at least two (2) 4x10 cabs, plus an amp that puts out a good 1500 - 2000 watts RMS. No joke! :eek:

MM

17. Willy2911

Willy2911

Sep 11, 2008
    OC California
    I was the Lead Guitarist in my first band, our bass player was just starting out and I had to help him along - soon I was hooked and saved up and bought my first P bass with an old fender tube amp - I am still in love with that rig...

18. Check out the classifieds here too. Bargains to be had.

19. derationalize

derationalize

Sep 25, 2008
    Maybe I should lug my head to the pawn shop where I found that SVT 15" and jam on it a bit to see if I like the "boominess". I just figured I needed something boomy since my guitar cabs I use fart too much when I try to pull the ultra bass knob (which sounds like awesome sauce at a reasonable level). I suppose I can run both of my 16ohm guitar cabs with an 8ohm 1x15 cab for a week or so until I have another $200 to pick up a 4x10 cab.

As far as a bigger rig goes, that's what I had in mind. I wanted to get something pretty cheap so I can fix the problem now and hear myself reasonably loud without alot of farting at practice and on stage, but nothing too shoddy so I won't have to send everything back to the pawn shop if I ever decided to expand.

As with just my two guitar cabs I'm using now, it sounds ALMOST loud enough. The mids and highs are coming out rather clear, it's just hurting in the bottom end. Hmmm...do I smell biamping in my future? :crying:

20. T-Forty

T-Forty Guest

Mar 14, 2008
    What are your guitarists playing through?