Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Guitarist wants a bass for recording

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mrspeed, Feb 5, 2004.

1. mrspeed

mrspeed

Jan 31, 2004
    Up until now I've been using an old Memphis bass for recording. Besides sounding like crap it has the neck of a baseball bat and it's noisy.

So I happened to see some of these ~$200 bassses out there that look pretty nice. I am leaning towards an Ibanez because they are light and the necks seem nice.

For awhile I thought a GSR200 would be all I need. For a few dollars more I can get the SR300DX with "active" electronics.

For recording I plan to go through a V-amp.

Are the active electronic basses any quieter ? Or can I just get away with the GSR200 ?

2. Electricmayhem

Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    NH
    I know some people around here like the GSR200, but I had one and would recommend that others stay away from it. Just my 2 cents.

3. I honestly wouldn't use a GSR200 for recording, the tone is kind of dull and the stock pickups pretty much suck. I'd say their more for beginner basses, not recording.

4. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Essex

5. mrspeed

mrspeed

Jan 31, 2004
    How are the necks on an Essex ?
    I love a traditional Fender or Gibson neck on a guitar. Not sure I'm crazy about it for a bass.

I also wanted something with a little more modern style. I would consider a Brice but they don't have a 4 string in the V2 Active Quilt Top.

The SX SB-301 has a painted neck which is not desired at all.

6. Electricmayhem

Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    NH
    I din't know Essex made basses @ less than 200 bucks. Or do they?

BTW how come I can't find the Essex website?

7. They make them for under $200 and with dang good quality for the price which is why they are usually recommend to beginners as starter basses. You can find them at www.rondomusic.bigstep.com IMO they have a better tone and better pickups than a GSR200 - I can't say anything about the SR300X though because I've never played one. I say go try out some basses in your price range and whatever sounds and plays good for you - Get it.

8. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    Get a Squier. That might be what your looking for. They would be good for recording but not playing live.
    Epiphone Eb-0 those are just cool:)

9. mrspeed

mrspeed

Jan 31, 2004
  10. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I would recommend against a short scale. They don't sound or play very good IME. Take a good look at the Brice 5 string Jazz. Don't be intimidated by the fifth string, it's not harder to play at all. :bassist:

11. Well, I can't offer much in the line of Squier opinions, but I do own an Ibanez SRX 300, and just recently departed with my SR 300DX due to an extreme case of G.A.S. :p

You are sooo right about the Ibanez Soundgear necks! They do scream, and both of mine had very nice fretwork as well.

Electronics- Both basses have virtually noiseless electronics, but be wary of an occasional scratchy pot. One of mine had one, but it cleared up within a day.

The SRX300 (Soundgear extreme) is a very rock-oriented bass with massive dual humbuckers and a two band EQ with a lot of headroom. I really enjoy the variety of tones I can achieve with it, and the bass has a very solid feel to it.

The SR 300DX was probably even more versatile tone-wise, even though it didn't actually have an EQ. It features volume controls for the P & J pickups, and a "Phat" bass boost that can push it into some really good growl, especially with the neck pickup soloed (the precision style pup). Sound-wise, I was able to go anywhere from country to rock to jazz to funk and probably anywhere in between.

Hardware was similar quality between the two, and the stock SR300DX bridge is comparable to a Quann Badass. The SRX bridge is quite a bit more beefy than the SR's though.

The SR's (Agathis) body contours and weight is more user friendly than the SRX's slab (basswood) body.

Unless you just get a lemon, I don't think you'll do bad with either the SRX or the SR. Robbie Merrill of Godsmack and many others use them to record and gig every day... can't be all wrong :bassist:

Hope this helps some...

12. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Get the Brice! Get it over the Ibanez and definately the Squier!

13. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    Whats G.A.S mean?

14. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Used MIM P or J

15. Version Luminol

Version Luminol

Dec 6, 2003
    They sell the essex basses all the time on ebay, i bought a SJB-62 TM and like Tyler Hole says, they have much better tone than the gsr200 and alot other basses for that matter, they are great basses, quality instruments.

16. Yeah - The stock pickups don't sound that bad at all, but once you change them out...WOW.

I have Fender CS60s in my SX Jazz and it sounds pretty good. Here is a sound clip, no EQ: www.whmoh.com/stuff/yay.mp3