1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Guitarist who claim to be bassists?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by FireArm, Aug 23, 2007.

1. FireArm

FireArm

May 17, 2007
    Hi there, heres a little rant if anyone wishes to join in..

I really want to learn to slap, ive tried books/videos and although i can slap (very basically) i want to learn to do it properly and be able to slap a whole bassline (not just for a few seconds)

Anyway there was loads of "advanced bass teachers" in my area who claimed to offer advanced bass guitar lessons, i called 3 teachers up they basically all told me the same thing

:scowl:
    "well i can teach you bass... but i tend not to cover all of that funk stuff - i mainly teach guitar anyway"

These guys may get away with teaching total beginners but are soon found out when they have to teach beyond hitting an A for a lesson to a metronome!

rant over (sorry)

2. Totally agree with you. I wouldn't give my money to someone that teaches bass if they aren't willing to cover a broader spectrum of styles and techniques. Places like this just want whatever business they can scoop up.