1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

"Guitarist Who Plays Bass"

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by jahite, Apr 2, 2006.

1. jahite

jahite

Apr 2, 2006
    Urbana, IL
    That's what my friend "Trevorus" calls me. He's right, though. I've played guitar since my senior year in high school (1999-2000) and only picked up bass the last couple years.

I always wanted to learn bass, since I figured it would be my best shot at getting in a band. It just so happened there was a guitar in the house that wasn't being used, so I played with that a lot. I forgot about learning bass at that point.

I bought a bass from my cousin a few years later, but I didn't play it a lot. Then I sold it to somebody else due to its inactivity. Again, I really didn't pick up the bass for a while.

Then a year ago I was asked to fill in for a band whose bass player was going to be out of town, so I happily accepted the invitation. It became a lot of fun to me, and I was invited to play again.

Then came Easter 2005. My brother-in-law's church needed a bass player for the Easter services, so I jumped at the chance to play again. I had such a great time, and the worship team liked having me there, so they invited me to play more often. I began playing every other Sunday, but then when they realized I could play guitar, they let me do that, too.

Last October I decided to purchase my own bass and bass amp. I was able to pick up a Lakeland bass and a Fender Bassman amp at a reasonable price. I love them! I don't play bass as often at church anymore, but I do get to play once or twice every two months.

I don't imagine I'll be spending much time on here, but I figured it might be a good place to check out.

2. my experience was somewhat similar, but you sound young enough to be my grandchild--I'm almost 64. Been playing guitar amateurishly all my life, informal folk groups, sometimes church groups, etc. I have a couple nice guitars--1945 Martin D-18, and 1953 Gretsch Elecromatic; but couple years ago a new contemporary christian service started at church, and they did not have a bass player, so I went out and bought a bass and amplifier--now I hardly ever play guitar anymore. I was also playing trombone in a swing orchestra for ballroom dances about once a month, and I became so enamored of bass that I started practing at least 8-10 hours a week in addition to rehearsals, and now I play bass every sunday for the contemporary service and gave up trombone and took the bass slot in the swing orchestra. Bass is about the most fun I've had. Wished I had started in high school 45 years ago. stay with it.

3. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Welcome, Your not alone. I started on Guitar 30 yrs ago and have quite a collection. I concentrate more on Bass now but still play Guitar and will not turn down either spot in a band.

4. chcgjohn7

chcgjohn7

Nov 27, 2006
    Chicago
    Hi, I am new to the forum. I've played guitar for over 30 years and also play banjo (1 yr) and mandolin(2 yrs); I picked a bass guitar and amp this weekend to learn bass; off the bat, it seems like the 2 areas of transition is learning the right-hand finger technique (index and middle finger) and reading a bass clef