1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Guitarist who's mule-ish

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by xolin, May 4, 2006.

1. Hey,

I've been writing a bunch of songs in powertab for my metal band and my lead guitarist keeps not learning them. He tries like once to do a lick, says its too difficult then never practices it. And he seems to refuse to want to learn anything he can't play yet. It's SOOO frustrating, especially since the songs are completely constructed (about 7 or 8 of them now) and some with lyrics. He's myself and my drummer/brother's friend.
    I am looking for another guitarist to add to the band in hopes that he will pick up the slack and pull this guy along...but what should I do to get him to do more?

(btw, he's a procrastinating university student..so he "has to study" all the time...but only ends up studying the day before stuff is due/tests.)

Thanks...maybe this has happened to someone before?

2. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    I don't think I could work with someone who refuses to learn the material, friend or not. How can you expect to perform when he won't learn the material?

3. Calif De Funk

Calif De Funk Guest

Dec 15, 2004
    Sweden
    If he doesn´t want to learn the songs he can´t play them. If he can´t play the songs you need another guitarist. Talent=10%, practicing=90%. And you need to tell him this.

4. I know...he says that now that exams are over he'll start practicing, but I think he just wants to write his own stuff, and IM cool with that...but HE DOESNT... I need some way of inspiring him to practice more and write more without pissing him off.

5. The friend dynamic is always tough. But part of being a friend means being honest and not taking advantage of your friends. You should have a chat with him and be very clear about your frustration and what you need from him as a guitar player. If he is not able or willing to deliver then you need to let him know that you are going to find a guitar player who will live up to your needs.

It is never fun when a friend lets you down and confronting them with these issues is an unenviable task. But being a real friend is a responsibility and sometimes it is hard one to deal with.

I was personally confronted about my commitment to our band (19 years ago at age 19) by my friend, who I am still very close with today. I was slacking - partying way too much and blowing off practice for 'extra-curricular' activities. One night he just laid it on the line in a very matter-of-fact sort of way. This made his feelings known to me and put the ball in my court. I chose the band and thanked him for the wake-up call. And for the record, that same friend and I are still giggin' it up today!

I am not saying your situation will have the same favorable results, but it does seem like the steps you need to take.

Good luck!
    --tz

6. Thanks tZer!

7. I think anger is a good solution. You get angry and he gets angry. and also, a prof once told me "sarcasm is a strong teacher." give him an explicit reason to get down on himself, and he'll have a reason to stop schlepping around.

8. One of the best ways to improve on any instrument is to write something you can't play and then jam that sucker until you can. Surely this guy wants to get better? If not, can him and get someone who wants to play

9. db4usa

db4usa

Mar 5, 2006
    St. Louis, MO
    My guitarist is a little lazy also. He plays in another band too. He almost refuses to play slower, quieter songs because he cannot shred through them and has to pay more attention to the details. My solution was to turn up and walk all over his leads in these songs and play his parts. The very next show, he had them nailed. Message received...
    db out!

10. I think you just need to have an honest talk with him. Is it that he just isn't at the level yet where he can learn new songs, or is it that he just doesn't _want_ to learn new songs?