1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

guitarist without apparent soul

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Step, May 9, 2010.

1. Step

Step

Feb 20, 2008
    Maastricht
    hello,

I recently talked to another bassist I knew in a bar, and I casually mentioned I was looking for a new blues band
    he then mentioned that he rehearsed with a guitarist a few weeks ago, who was "way too good and could play anything by SRV". I've been on the lookout for a good guitarist for some time now, and this got me stoked.

So, I meet up with the guy and he has the chops, he can play everything by SRV that he already knows, which is cool. But then I threw a curve-ball at him and asked to play "keep it hid" by dan Auerbach, which is a slow, rigid blues song.

I let him hear the song, hear how it's supposed to sound, yet he turns it into some wankfest, after that we played a slow blues by john mayer (slow dancing in a burning room) which also had very fast soloing in it

I haven't talked to him about it, he seems to feel like he is a very good guitarist (he is, in some ways).

should I tell him to play with more soul? or with feeling?
    or would that just offend him

Thanks,
    Step

2. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Some guys have to show you every lick they know in every song. It probably would offend him, but maybe you could put it something like--"you are a monster technical player, but I'll bet you could play those pieces with a lot of soul."

3. Mikey3

Mikey3

Aug 8, 2007
    Michigan
    Ask him to hold back a bit...and let him know that sometimes less is more!

4. ^^^Anyone who has ever heard Mr BB King knows: this^^^

5. Step

Step

Feb 20, 2008
    Maastricht
    point is that he's been playing for some 13 years and I think he should know better being a blues player

and since he doesn't seem to know better I don't know if I want to continue this. I'll talk with him the next rehearsal but still

he should know better IMO

6. blockinlay

blockinlay

Feb 21, 2009
    Phila Pa
    This thread made me think of BB King too. 9th fret vibrato and his voice = SOUL.

7. queevil

queevil

Aug 6, 2009
    Waco,TX
    Ok man, I hate to have to tell you this but you're not going to change him. I've been down this road. If he was a younger player who hadn't been playing long I would say give it time and he'll settle down. But after 13 years he won't. I can almost guarantee it. Even if he does he will hate it. I've jammed with some really good guitar players who can't seem to realize that they're not Stevie or Jimi. They don't understand that 32 bar guitar solos aren't as cool as they think.

8. Step

Step

Feb 20, 2008
    Maastricht
    oh but I love 32-bar solos, I love supporting soloing guitarists, it's just that there's absolutely NO tension in the music, no soft parts to balance the solos with, and IMO again that is one of the big foundations of the blues.

dynamics is the word I'm looking for

9. time to set with a beer or two and listen to the kind of records that have the sound you want,and say stuff like....."this is what i'm looking for in a geetar guy"

10. queevil

queevil

Aug 6, 2009
    Waco,TX
    I agree. It's not solos that I hate. You see, I actually love the way that the bass sounds behind a slightly to moderately overdriven guitar that's playing a lead. Hell, that's one of the reasons that I like SRV and Double Trouble. However, I believe that most guitarists can't pull it off convincingly. It becomes repetitive. We probably all know guitarists that can play as good as SRV technically speaking but how many can do it with as much feeling or soul? How many can keep it exiting? Not many. For the one's that can, I'd love to back them any day of the week and they could play a 64 bar solo as long as it's beautiful.

11. Tell him to solo as much as he wants, but that he is only allowed to use a maximum of three notes.

12. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Lawd! Welcome to my world. gui**** I'm playing with has zero concept of nuance or on how to blend in. Always loud and insists on using LOUD & Hi POWERED amps! He also has zero soul! He does not know when NOT to play. Case in point, we play Lakeside's Fantastic Voyage! Ok, why is he playing stuff that is NOT even on the record?!?! Literally killing the funk in the process! I just love when cats say they play funk and soul music but when you play with them, they do not have a clue!

13. If I may quote the great blues philosopher, Mr.Albert Collins:

"Take your time son,take your time!"

14. BobWestbrook

BobWestbrook Mr.

Mar 13, 2006
    Philly suburb
    Technical proficiency is not the same as musicianship. The ones who don't understand this probably never will.

15. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Great idea.

Or better yet, let him listen to it get inspired and say, "man I need to learn some of those licks" without you having to tell him.

Most folks can only put out when they take in. Have him take in good stuff.

16. xxfaux_punkxx

xxfaux_punkxx

Mar 18, 2010
    Indiana
    I keep thinking of the new guy. The opening sing where that scrawny kid is dancing around in his underwear and has the big afro singing "I got soooul and I'm super bad"

17. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    The fact that you feel the need to tell him anything at all is a bad sign. If he hasn't already been able to learn these things on his own, how much do you think your suggestions are really going to penetrate?

Sorry to say that I agree with this. If I had to choose between these two qualities - either in myself or in someone else - I'd take musicianship any day of the week. Technical proficiency can be gained pretty straightforwardly - with good hand/eye coordination and plenty of practice.

But good musicianship? That's something different - and far more abstract and intangible, like an instinct. It's been my experience that by the time you've had sufficient musical training and/or playing experience, you either "get it" or you don't. :meh:

MM

18. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    "he seems to feel like he is a very good guitarist"

Find guys hip to the black keys that can cook on stage and in the kitchen and you'll have great times playing music and living on the road together.

19. jhan

jhan Guest

Sounds like the guy is 1) Basically a boring show-off, 2) Lacks musical maturity, 3) Has no 'soul' whatsoever.

I played with a drummer like this (except that he wasn't that good a player). He would step all over everyone constantly until he got yelled at. And then he would complain that people were 'telling him how to play.' It's a lack of maturity - plain and simple.

One of the best guitarists I ever played with was a virtuoso. He could play ANYTHING - metal, funk, prog, pop, jazz. He was also one of the EASIEST people to play with. He had no problem playing songs without any leads at all. His love was MUSIC first, guitar SECOND.

I agree with those who've said that good musicianship is an instinct that one either develops or doesn't. Some people reach a point of no return and there's no help for them. Best thing to do is walk away from these people if you can. They'll make YOU sound worse before YOU make them sound better.

20. jhan

jhan Guest

BTW - one of the best things about SRV was his rhythm playing, IMO.