Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

guitarist woes

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by slick519, Jan 13, 2002.

1. its you, get a life

4 vote(s)
    21.1%
  2. its the guitarist

15 vote(s)
    78.9%
  1. slick519

slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    our guiarist, uh... lets call him tink... is soo stuck up. tink, me and a couple other guitarists were playing through 99 red balloons - goldfinger, a very easy song. we all start playing, adn he speeds up majorly, with all the guitarist following him. I stay the same speed (the right speed) and he stops playing, and yells at me for slowing down a whole bunch.

Also, he insists on singing everything, even though he always goes liek a whole step flat at the end of the song. to mke everything better, tink has stage fright so he stuters when he sings, but he still insist on singing. (by the way, not too brag, but i am a whole bunch better singer than he is and have about 6 years of singing behind me)

and also, to make things even worse, he automatically makes himself the lead guitarist in everything. even though we have a guitar player that is better than he is, in most ways.

jsut wondering, are all guitarists liek this, or is it just me?

~Slicks

2. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Look, just deal with the fact that guitarists are evil.

3. He's a raving egomaniac. Which means that he's a completely healthy guitarist, so everything is right in the world.

Get him back. De-tune him right before a set.:D

Rock on
    Eric

4. slick519

slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    YES! gotta love that oregon wit we have in this rainy sate of ours!

~Slicks

5. What makes you think he'll notice?

6. Even though i have played guitar more than bass (although i do suck at both :D ) and take offense at some of the insults thrown at guitarists, I 100% agree with the fact that many guitarists are WAY TOO ARROGANT. They fail to realize that 1) rhythym guitar is nothing without a solid bassline, and 2) guitar solos can get pretty damn annoying after a while, when they randomly toss them in to show off :rolleyes:

just my 2 cents.

7. Duff_Man182

Duff_Man182

Jul 28, 2001
    Miami,Fl USA
    woah wird my old guitar player used 2 be the sam way....he said he had such a great voice and would make himself the singer.....and he'd always show off and whine abut everything....lol i quit that band about a month ago and started a new band with a really good guitar player/singer who doesnt feel the need 2 show off :D

8. Yup, that pretty much explains an ex-guitarist. Baaaad singer, but wanted to sing. Tried to play rock music on a set of 8's...ugh. Couldn't play a song the same way 2 times....ugh. We have better guitarist now..dave happier.

9. punkbassist

punkbassist Guest

Dec 3, 2001
    New Jersey
    our guitarist is smart. He is the guitar player not the singer. If he did sing, we would put him into quarentine for sure. Even our singer agrees.

10. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    i suggest you hit the guitarist in the chest with your bass, slick.;)

11. slick519

slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    maybe..... maybe......

or, ya know, i could just blow his pratice amp! man, that is a lot of fun. you jsut plug your bass into his small guitar amp, turn amp up all the way, put the distortion on, adn your ready to blow some speakers!!!

i could also take his jack out of his guitar right before a concert. thats hilarious! he walks up to guitar, and then tries to plug it in without looking. when he cant get it, he finally looks at his jack and screams! the look on the fasce is priceless!

Slicks

12. Down to a Bb below C, yeah, he'll notice.:D

Rock on
    Eric

13. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    You SURE about that Eric?

:D

14. i guess im the only one with a tolerable guitarist. maybe its cause he was a bassist at first...:D

15. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I'd still be willing to bet that my ex-guitarist was the worst guitarist -- ever. He couldn't play a song the same way twice (to borrow a phrase from tufnuts) and he had the worst tone in the history of tone! The worst part was that even though everyone else thought he was a joke and would always be mediocre at best, he thought he was progressing!

This coming Sunday I have a get-together scheduled with my would-be drummer and his guitarist friend. I absolutely can't wait -- the guitarist is not only excited about what I want to accomplish, but he actually owns a decent guitar and amplifier (I can't wait to feast my ears on his Marshall)!

16. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I want to hear his side of the story before giving my opinion.

Thank you.

17. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    If he's that hard to work with, and you keep playing with him, who's fault is it???

Not all guitarists are like that.

18. Jimbo

Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    i feel your pain. i too have had to deal with an egotistical guitarist. the worst part (worse than his singing and need to show-off) he' d write basslines for me. these lines couldn't groove for their life. but yet he still thought they were better than the ones in wrote. he had a horrible temper and would explode on anyone that messed up or disagreed. of course no one was allowed to say anything against what he did. i was don'e woth that band real fast

one the other hand, the guys i'm playing with now are really cool. there's two guitarist and niether one of them is arrogant! can you believe that? it must be the luckiest guy around.

so i've had experience on both sides and i gotta say you got to find people that respect you, it;s the best way to have fun playing

that's my 2 one-hundredths of a dollar
    -jimbo

19. If you make him sound like a bass, he will notice.:D

Rock on
    Eric