Guitarists looking down on bassists?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Cadillac_Mike, Sep 23, 2021.

1. Cadillac_Mike

Cadillac_Mike

Jul 3, 2021
    I'm sure this sort of thread has been done a billion times before but as a multi-instrumentalist who's a member of a guitar forum I always sense a certain snobbery against bass players. As someone who's played both lead electric guitar and filled in on bass I can tell you that the later is harder; even at a meat and potatoes level. As a bassists filling in you ALWAYS gotta be on the money. A monkey can pick up a Strat, plug into a Deluxe Reverb and go to town over a backing groove lol...

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I should like to meet this monkey, sounds like fun. And better than some lead players I've played with. :p

3. Tyco666

Tyco666

Jul 20, 2014
    I take great delight in telling guitar players I don't need a capo, just tell me the chord progression and I will transpose in my head.. they often look at me blankly....

4. TerenceE

TerenceE

Dec 6, 2015
    My favourite is when they tell me I’m too loud

5. Gluvhand

Gluvhand Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2014
    Rockland County, NY
    This is just another thing in the long list of things every bassist but me seems to encounter. This, demands for a P bass, what to play, etc... have never happened to me. Either I'm lucky, everyone else is exaggerating, or my band mates have all been talking behind my back.

RichT, leftybass54, friend33 and 26 others like this.
  6. Fun Size Nick

Fun Size Nick

Feb 21, 2006
    Hong Kong
    I feel like this is predominantly a rock thing. I've rarely met anyone outside of the rock world who doesn't value what a good bass player can bring to the table.

7. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    This forum is rife with the exact opposite, as well.

8. thmsjordan

thmsjordan

Jan 10, 2010
    Eschew Obfuscation
    I have to agree here. It is non existent in the Jazz world where a good guitarist is as rare as hen's teeth. They are highly valued and seem to have few of the problems of guitarists in the rock realmz.

Next time your guitarist starts getting holier than thou, do what I do. Start a Jam in Db or Gb - usually shuts em right up.

9. smeet

smeet Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Historically the rock bass player has been whichever of the 4 or 5 untrained teenagers in the band was the worst musician. Since they could only play rudimentary parts, the problem eventually became built into the style and was compounded over the years, and the whole genre became a ridiculous knee circle jerk reaction of “less is more” for the bassist. No jazz band or classical orchestra ever picked out the worst sax or violin player and told them they had to play bass.

10. MynameisMe

MynameisMe What will you be remembered for? Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Jax, Florida
    Many guitarists only know one lead solo. They play the same one every time. I'm not the best at developing a good bass line but I try to change it up some.

11. squarepeg

squarepeg

Dec 21, 2010
    Slovenia
    Oh, you have a 100 watt Marshall. How cute!

12. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    Depends on the music… can’t compare a Kiko Loueiro guitar solo ala Angra to the bass line in Tennessee Whiskey. REALLY good guitar players like Reb Beach or Doug Aldrich are absolutely miles beyond in terms of technical, rhythmic, and melodic playing than most bass players.

Vinny_G, juggahnaught and BillMason like this.
  13. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    Maybe the guitarists you’re used to playing with only know one solo.

kentiki, Hand slap and fhm555 like this.
  14. BurtMacklinFBI

BurtMacklinFBI Degen from Up-Country

Apr 3, 2018
    Well, yes. The best guitar players in the world are going to be better than most bass players. And most other guitar players, and most drummers, etc etc. Comes with the territory of being among the best in the world.

15. Mantis Tobaggan

Mantis Tobaggan Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    I play guitar and hang out in TDPRI and I absolutely reject this premise. There is zero snobbery against bass players. I actually said something tongue in cheek once and got a backlash from guitar players defending bass players.

I really can’t stand these kind of threads. If you feel insecure about playing bass, learn guitar. Don’t put it on guitar players. I see WAY more bashing of guitar players by bass players on here than the other way.

16. MotorCityMinion

MotorCityMinion

Jun 15, 2017

17. FYI: during the 18th and early 19th centuries, the worst violin players were told to play viola.

18. Some rock guitarists assume that they can do what you do, but you can’t fill their shoes. They might know how to slap or tap or whatever. I’ve played with people like this. It’s just musical immaturity.

Play them some reggae, ska, funk, high life or just about any music from any other part of the world, where the bass dominates. That might educate them.

leftybass54, Plectrum72 and Mili like this.
  19. drumvsbass

drumvsbass

Aug 20, 2011
    Winnipeg
    The only guitarists who look down on me are taller than I am.

Need Gigs, Matt R, GIBrat51 and 10 others like this.
  20. Amano

Amano

May 5, 2015
    Planet earth
    All the time. My former keyplayer once told me “your to intelligent to be a bassplayer”. It was a compliment. After three months into the band he respected and even admired me playing the bass. The moment he knew.

leftybass54, salmon256 and Artman like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 28, 2021