Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Guitarists...Stuff Breaking...Grimy Strings...Sounds Like A Winner!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by The Golden Boy, May 16, 2005.

1. So, this past weekend I had a guitar playing gig. I was a bit apprehensive about it, but I was also pretty excited about it. I got to drag my nice guitar rig out, and got to drag my nice guitars out, and I got to play some rock and roll guitar.

I'm primarily a bass player, but I have a lot of really kickass guitar gear, and I love having people appreciate my gear as much as I do; so when the guitarist in my regular band asked to borrow a guitar for a backup I said "sure." I let him use one of my Custom Shop Les Pauls.

Over the course of the past 3 years he's pretty much been in posession of my MIJ Telecaster I've hot rodded. Whatever, it's not a guitar that cost a lot of money, it's a rocker, and he's needed a decent guitar. He ended up selling his guitar, (a Korean "Epiphone") with the idea of getting a new guitar, but that didn't happen. He's just used the Tele and on occasion he'll ask to borrow a different guitar. I really haven't had too much of a problem with it, he seems to take care of them, and they get played. To be honest, I don't get a lot of chances to play my guitars.

I'm not someone who frets about a ding on a guitar, or a scratch in tolex, and considering most of my instruments are over 20 years old, I'm really laid back about the value of the things. As long as the damage isn't something excessively careless, there's such a thing as "honest wear."

Friday evening, I ask for my Les Paul back, and he says "sure, I just put new strings on it." So right before we go on I get my main guitar tuned up, and go to get the one he's been borrowing and there's a chunk of wood missing from the headstock. Not a ding, or a scratch or a burn... a frickin' chip of wood, the entire thickness of the headstock and nearly an inch long and probably a quarter cm deep. I felt like Niedermeyer from Animal House spitting invectives and hurtling curses that defy mortal creativity. This is mere moments before headlining a relatively big local event. He honestly tried to convince me that he didn't know it was there.

If I'm in posession of someone else's $2500+ instrument I will know every golly darned thing that is wrong with that instrument, and I'd certainly notice to the frickin' second that a frickin' chunk of wood is missing out of the headstock on the bass side above the D string tuner.

We pulled off the show fine, I didn't need to use the backup- not that the missing chunk is in any way structural, just cosmetic.

I go to clean the guitar up yesterday, polish it up, look for other obvious dings or damage... to top everything else off... old, dead ass strings... :scowl:

2. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    time for a new guitar player?

3. Just goes to show...never lend anything of value to anyone, no matter who. They'll never take care of it as well as you will.

4. i dont wanna sound like a chump here, but serves you right for lending such a nice guitar out just like that.. quite honestly what did you think was going to happen to it?

i do feel bad about the damage done to your guitar..

5. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada

Too right. I never ever lend out my gear. It's like lending money to a friend. If things go wrong, you lose the friend.
    :scowl:

6. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Dude... that sucks... I'd see how much it's would be to get it fixed and see if he will help you out...

I borrowed a friend's custom 62 strat, and then an Aspen Acoustic in my brief foray into the world of 6-string treble. I treated both of those guitars better than I treat my own equipment.

Since I play for a Jr. High Youth group, I get a lot of requests from kids "can I play your guitar?".. If I'm there, no problems... If I'm not... nope... don't touch it...

7. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

This is a BASS forum. :spit: Are you coming out of the closet
    O shiny radiant one? :eek:

Let's find you directions to TABCRAWLER! :help:

Sorry to hear about the chunk. That stinks. Too bad he had
    to lie about it too.

8. I lend out euipement here and there to someone if I know them. I have trust in people, regardless of whatever happens. If they are honest then I don't mind super much. I won't kill a friendship over a chunk of wood (then again, I don't play anything super expensive). If they admit it, all is cool (only once has anything ever happen and soldering fixed that)

plus they can pay in teeth