Guitarists who HATE Jimi Hendrix.......

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bad Brains, Oct 28, 2004.

1. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    I used to have this friend who loved playing guitar. I always considered him pretty closed minded when it came to music and such. He is the probbaly the only person I know who played guitar who couldn't stand Jimi Hendrix. He was heavily into "punk" music and would always make comments like "I don't know why everyone considers him so great, he dosn't even play that fast, the guitarist in the band Strung Out is much better" everytime i would put a Hendrix Cd in where we used to work. And would just kind of look at him funny.

Do any of you know people kind of like this? I'm not really implying that you HAVE to like Hendrix if you play guitar, but for some reason I get pretty irritated when people say dumb things like that. There are plenty of good musicians that arn't really for me, or my style, but I still recognize the talent. I don't even play guitar, but I could imagin Hendrix songs arn't espically easy to play. Espically some of the live stuff I have heard.
  2. That's the important thing- even if it doesn't really speak to you- to recognize the talent. I can't stand wankery, either on guitar or bass- anything for that matter, but I do understand that it takes a different level of talent and ego than what I've got!
  3. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    That's the key, do they recognize the talent regardless of whether they like them.

I hate Bruce Sprinsteen's music but recognize him as a talented song writer and performer.
  4. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    Agreed. I also understand why most people wouldn't like a lot of the stuff I like. I remember the first time I heard many of the bands I now listin to, I remember thinking to myself "what the hell is this".

The thing about my friend that it almost seemed like he was offended everytime I would listin to, or mention bands like Zeppelin, or Hendrix. He would go off without me even saying how great they are or whatever. But I guess that's just the way some people are.

I havn't talked to him in a while, so mabey he's changed a little. Last I heard he was in some pretty decent punk band in Ohio, where he moved a few years back. Personally I though his band (or what I heard) was good, but wasn't really anything that I havn't heard before. But I still give him credit for doing what he loves. I know I don't have enough balls to get a band going, at least not now.
  5. It's lack of perspective, even if you don't think he is the most technically talented, any guitarist should realize he was the man who transformed the electric guitar into what it is today, opened so many peoples eyes. Is Satriani more technically proficient? I don't know personally, some may think that, but as newton said "we can only see so far by standing on the shoulders of giants."
  6. Speed isn't the only thing that matters.
  7. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Hendrix, to me, isn't about speed/playing fast...if that's what your friend is about, he's missing the point, IMHO. Hendrix is about heart, soul, passion, sex, feel, etc.
    I know some people like your friend. Why is it guitarists(& even bassists/drummers) who cop this attitude? It would be like a saxophonist dissing Bird or Coltrane...granted, there a few who aren't into 'Trane's later period; regardless, they do recognize the guy's contribution, energy, & influence. I guess a certain segment out there loves to tear down the innovators. Ego, huh?

I suspect Hendrix will still be relevant 100 years from now.
    As for the guy in Strung Out...?
  8. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I've never heard anyone say that. He needs evaluation and therapy.
  9. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    It's kinda like a bass player saying he hated Jamerson or Jaco. :scowl:
  10. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I recognize Jaco's talent and innovation, but his music is incredibly boring for me. I guess you could say I hate it. Different strokes.

Hendrix was an innovator and incredibly talented. I have loved everthing I have heard from him.
  11. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I hate Celine Dion and refuse to recognize her as an artist.
  12. DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Well, back when Jimi Hendrex was corrent music he changed electric guitar forever. Now he may not seem to technically proficient and some stuff may even seem really boring because it's been immatated so many times. The point is that in his time he revolutionized the guitar but now all that stuff may seem boring to people becuase there are so many people that play stuff like him and some play it better but he was the first to do it and music probably wouldn't be the same today if he haddn't been around.
  13. id tell him to *()&^ off playing is more inspired by hendrix than anyone else...the guy never played the same thing twice....but as ive said, i respect bob babbit over jamerson....but in the same rather listen to SRV's albums than hendrix....but hendrix has always been a prominent figure in my me..theres the origionals..then theres the imitators...i always carry around my discman and theres a few albums i always carry, and thats:
    led zep: IV and Presence
    hendrix: electric ladyland
    srv: couldnt stand the weather
    rhcp: blood sugar sex magic
  14. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    You don't like Jaco's "Third Stone From The Sun"?
  15. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I don't believe I have heard it. I own his self titled disc but it gets no play time.
  16. i know what you mean...i wasnt really floored by that...except for come on come over and donna lee....but the albums word of mouth and invitation are much better invitation being a live one
  17. johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    I started high school in '78 when the big talk amongst guitarists and/or heavy metal [purveyors was "is Van Halen I better than VH II ? " Eddie’s playing inspired rock guitarist to play super fast tapping licks and made old-school guitarists sound slow.

Hendrix WAS NOT a fast guitar player per say. Make no mistake, he could make your jaw drop in amazement with his speed. (i.e. check out "Star Spangled Banner" from his Woodstock performance. No tapping technique; just good old fashioned, honest picking. No arpegiated chords; real scales.)

Conversely, Hendrix WAS a REAL musician in that he didn't use his impressive arsenal of guitar techniques (speed, controlled feedback, effects (he was a master of the wah), union string bends, ect...) in a gimmicky way. Hence you don't listen to Jimi and say "He is fast" you listen and say "WOW...what a great musician"

I find it funny how speed comes in cycles.... I think of the "fast guitar" era of the mid/late sixties when people apparently oohed and ahhed over Alvin Lee and 10 years after. Guys like Hendrix and Page reminded the world you didn't have to play fast all the time to be an awesome guitar player.

The 80s was a decade lost to speed merchants of guitar. By 1990 Every hard rock/metal act sounded the same, and looked the same. I was so glad when Guns and Roses broke big time in 1990 as Slash again reminded the world that you don't have to play fast all the time to be good!
  18. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    I agree again. To be honest I never really though Van Halen was all that great. Sure the finger tapping was cool, but other then that his overall playing or songwriting ability was nothing special.

I must give an honerable mention to Randy Rhoades, that Mo-Fo could play!
  19. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Jaco's solo piece, "Slang", pays homage to Hendrix with quotes from "Third Stone From The Sun". You can SEE this on the Joni Mitchell Shadows & Light DVD...speaking of which, a tune which really hit me hard way back when is that album's opener, "In France They Kiss On Main Street".

...since you already own Jaco's debut album, check this out-
    On "Kuru", approx. 6.30 in, Jaco drops a beat from his earlier 4/4 vamp-groove. In other words, he's playing in "3" while the rest of the band stays in "4". He's not the first to have ever thought about that...regardless, that kinda **** knocks me out.

20. sliceanddice

Oct 29, 2004
    Dude Who can HATE Jimmi?
    He is awesome.
    I play bass and I know that!
    I know sumone that if you said anything bad about him, he punch u in da face!