1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Guitarists Who Would Make Great Bassists.

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Casting Thunder, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Casting Thunder

Casting Thunder

Oct 7, 2012
    I saw The Maine the other night, and I can't get over how well the lead guitarist had a handle on time. There has to be other guitarist out there who would be amazing on bass, has anyone else noticed this?

2. rupture

rupture

Jan 27, 2012
    Keef Richards

3. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Aug 22, 2011
    Is the question "Guitarists who would make great bassists" or "Guitarists who do make great bassists"?

...'cuz Keef has already proven himself to be a very competant bassist. As have his partners in crime Mick Taylor and Ron Wood.

For that matter, Steve Howe of Yes has played a lot of bass on his solo albums over the years (as well as on one cut of the GTR album) and he's no slouch, definitely gets a good feel, can lock with a drummer, comes up with inventive lines, but doesn't sound like he's just playing guitar 8vb.

I'm more curious about "Guitarists who would make great bassists" ...guys who haven't yet tried, but who, because of some aspect of their guitar playing, we think might make great bassists.

...but I'm not sure anyone comes to mind! Maybe Nile Rogers? The guy grooves like a mutha, and he's always surrounded himself with excellent bassists so perhaps some of that rubbed off?

4. 77FenderJB

77FenderJB

Jul 31, 2013
    Oregon
    I heard that David Gilmore playe a lot of bass when he and Roger were not getting along. Same with Jimi Hendrix, when Noel was out at a pub and not in the studio.

5. russpurdy

russpurdy

Apr 16, 2013
    Stevie Ray Vaughan, that guy might have missed notes with his fretting hand but he never broke rhythm.

I believe Bob Dylan played bass quite frequently on projects. Whether he was good or not I don't know.

Malcolm Young of AC/DC is solid as they come, I'm sure bass would be a good transition.

Nolly Getgood of Periphery made the switch and is doing quite well.

6. Hawkbone

Hawkbone

Mar 23, 2009
    Newfoundland
    Gordie Johnson
    bass:

7. thenazz

thenazz

May 9, 2011
    Pensacola, FL
    Bob Welch, ex-Fleetwood Mac. I believe he played bass in addition to guitar on his "French Kiss" album. Pretty funky, percolating basslines.

8. seang15

seang15

Aug 28, 2008
    Cary NC
    Alex Lifeson and Dave Matthews.

9. eloann

eloann

May 14, 2012
    Switzerland
    In my former band I wrote all of the music and sometimes included some keys and fingerstyle guitar, which neither guitar players were comfortable with. They had virtually never played bass but when they tried it somehow (rather unexpectedly) worked so we would just switch for a few songs.

10. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    This should be a very short list.

I have seen many guitarists conjure decent, melodic lines on bass.
    I have seen very few guitarists actually switch over to being Bass Players.

11. simenandreas

simenandreas

Jan 23, 2011
    Tal Wilkenfield played guitar before.. But people said she played the guitar like a bass, and she just changed instrument.. Glad she did! :)

12. Carol Kaye lol

13. Jungy

Jungy

Jun 9, 2011
    Oz
    Adam jones from Tool. Really lays down the rhythm on his guitar.

14. theduke1

theduke1 Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Manitowoc WI
    That makes about as much sense as Army Intelligence. Lol .... still lmao

15. Jungy

Jungy

Jun 9, 2011
    Oz
    If your referring to my comment, how so? You can't be rhythmic on guitar? I'll be honest, that I haven't listened to much of tool lately but when I was younger I used to listen to the first couple of albumns a lot and the guitarist really pushes the rhythm IMO.

16. jongor

jongor

Jan 11, 2003
    Maine
    Eric Krasno

17. theduke1

theduke1 Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Manitowoc WI
    I ment no harm but most guitar players think just two things 1st the world revolves around them and 2 bass players are a necessary evil and inferior to them so why would they lower themselves.
    That is all
    Love & peace

18. Milk

Milk

Sep 16, 2013
    Montreal, Canada
    And this is why i decided to become both.

Of course no self respecting guitar player would probably accept to play what i write on guitar.... it's not.. challenging enough (or even at all)

I actually have an unfavorable opinion of guitar players that way, i think most of them are more interested in wanking or at least showing their chops then just making good music. Show me a very technically proeficient guitar player and i'll show you someone who probably can't write a good song to save his life...

19. seang15

seang15

Aug 28, 2008
    Cary NC
    Alex Lifeson, Chris Poland, Eric Johnson, Steve Morse, John Petrucci, Joe Satch, David Gilmore, Al DiMeola, Ritchie Blackmore, GEEZ I could go on....

20. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

Hendrix, of course.