Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Vox Populi, Nov 21, 2005.

1. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    So yesterday I was invited to jam with this guy I know who plays guitar. So I got there, there was also a drummer, and we started to jam. It was going alright at first, then the guitarist starts being all uppity and snappy. Basically he was angry that I was "playing more than I should". I wasn't, I am heavily influenced by Geddy Lee, and constantly play Rush lines when I'm practicing. So I was kind of playing like him, just venturing around the neck, but still holding down the "floor" of the song. It's not like I was doing some tapping solo behind my back or anything.

So this guitarist gets really angry and starts saying "What the hell happened to the days when the bassist only played three notes?" I joke like that with my guitarist brother all the time, in good fun. But this dude was trying to piss me off. So we kept jamming for a bit, but he would just solo as loud as he could and kept turning his amp up. So then I just left, he was being a real ass. I think the drummer left later, too.

Never jamming with this dude again. His "jams" were always the same: I play a couple notes, and he solos over them. No variation.
  2. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Those experiences really help kill the atmosphere and it's a bummer that he doesn't know how to jam.

Used to go to jams every week and there was a singer who would get all agitated if people didn't solo and finish on his cues.
    I always ignored him.
  3. We (our band) found a good guitarist. He doesn't care if he has to solo, or take the backseat to the bass.

He's a lot like Primus' guitarists, he doesn't have to be in the spotlight every second.
  4. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Does it really matter if you overplay a little on a jam?

When i play in school with a couple of friends it's just a big wank fest, but we seem to have fun...