Guitarists. >:(

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Microbass, Jan 27, 2003.

1. OK, this is really starting to bug me.

Our guitarist's head is too far up his rear. He knwos he's not great. But I'm beginning to think he's deaf. He doesn't even play covers properly. He also seems to have no desire to get ANY better, these days.

Yet he is the guy I wanna be in a band with. He's one of my best friends. etc etc..

What could I do to convince him to wake up, and listen?

Advice & thoughts welcomed... :mad:
  2. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Question: If he is no good and things are bugging you, why do you want to be in a band with him?
  3. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Well, not all guitarists are bad. just yours.. and some others...ok alot. Music and friendship are two different things. i had the same problem with a friend i had grown up with, was the only guy that would hang out with me so on and so on. We started a band, and everyone got real good at their insturments....except him, he had no no skill, and could not even count 4/4 well. he was very CRAPPY. and he thought he was the best, wanted to do his music only, etc........ So I told him that if he couldn't get any better, we would need to move on. turns out a week after we dumped him, the drummer left, and my brother quit. So i just hooked up with a awesome drummer, found a guitarist, and bingo. The fact is, have a friend that you like in the band,,, and play horribly because of the "friend". or replace them. they are still your friends, just not,,, what the BAND as a whole is needing to move on with their sound, and progess as a band.

PS:Thanks for all the rick heads up on ebay
  4. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Just so everyone knows where your coming from, what have you done (if anything) thus far to motivate/correct his playing?
  5. Well, I've introduced him to lots of good music, and he wlays says 'Yeah, thats awesome, Ill learn it' then he goes home and sits on the PC.

He's one of those people, its like "im sarcastic, i dont care, im punk" people, only kinda.. not. He doesnt seem to care that he sucks.

He even told methe way to get him to do something is to moan until its done. But he never doesn anything.

I have an idea actually. I'm gunna tell him I ain't playing for him. Man, that's jenius.. lol :rolleyes: :D
  6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

"Friendship" and "musicianship" have nothing to do with each other, in terms of what comes out of amplifiers.

e.g, - I have a two very good guitarists/friends but I no longer play in a band with them because they have absolutely NO stage presence and they love to bitch.

My advice - make sure YOU"RE a cut above in terms of talent/skill and move on. But keep your friends - they are valuable, too.
  7. I understand what you mean. My best friend has been playing guitar for over 5 years. He is full of talent. Yet, he's full of monkey doo. He pisses is his trousers at the thought of playing a song, and that someone is watching him. Sometimes, he just takes his guitar and starts improvising some nice stuff. Since he's really into Zeppelin, I go try "xxx". You must look the expression on his face... He turns blue!!!!!!!!! He is my best friend, but I hate him for that! This guy can be a great guitarist, yet he's afraid to try anything. As soon as he realizes what he is doing, it's over. He is weak. Also, the worst part, he is HARD HEADED!!!!! He is very happy not trying anything... Everyone who knows him says the same thing. He is scared.

Bottom line is, if he's your best friend, then quit now so that you won't start hating him further. I know I did. I don't even mention "guitar" or "band" or "playing" when I'm with him. If I do, then I'm gonna be so mad, and start giving him a speech, and yada-yada-yada..... Some people are just like that. You can’t do anything about it. Find a new partner with whom you can be on the same level. I know it’s hard, but you have no choice, IMO.

Again, I understand how you feel.