Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Guitarjapan.com

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Youngspanion, Oct 10, 2005.

1. Has any one ever orderd through this company? They have a great web site that just blows Ishibashi away. Its in english and very understandable. They have a very clear return policy. But their prices are a bit higher than Ishibashi. Their prices are in US dollar amounts too.

2. Keef

Keef

Jul 3, 2003
    Hollywood, CA
    That is a really cool link, Youngspanion – anybody have any info on the site?!?!?

3. Keef

Keef

Jul 3, 2003
    Hollywood, CA
    http://www.musicland.co.jp/kyoto/fender_j/f_j.html

http://www.gakkiya.jp/gb_fenderjapanJB.html

http://www.maple-gakki.com/1124/

http://www.musicland.co.jp/kyoto/fender_j/f_j.html

Does anyone have any info on these sites? The Fender offerings are nothing short of spectacular. Why don't we get such cool models here in the states??

There are some real beauties there, check 'em out.

Anybody ever order from Japan? The sites are in Japanese, thus a mystery to me. That's what's nice about the site that Youngspanion posted, it's in English, with American prices.

~ K

•

4. Are we the only ones who care Keef?

5. Pan

Pan Lowdown User

Aug 8, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Now you know you should never buy an instrument without playing it first? That's what all the good advice tells us.
    I still bought a fretless Jazz bass (62 reissue) from Ishibashi tho'. It was well made and the USA vintage pickups just wonderful. It didn't feel what I wanted tho' so I eventually sold it. But for US citizens and the power of the US dollar you guys should buy USA models.
    I have a fretted jazz from Japan too (62 reissue too) which is wonderful. I've had US Fenders since the mid 70's and this is as good as any of those. Look on ebay for guitargai who sells MIJ models - he can tell you what you want to know and filters the good models.

6. Keef

Keef

Jul 3, 2003
    Hollywood, CA
    Maybe so..!

:bawl:

Thanks for the info, Pan. FWIW, I feel I can set up any quality instrument to get it how I like it. If it's a model I've never played before I'd consider buying un-played a bit of a risk, but I feel pretty comfy with a Fender Jazz after all these years. Barring obvious defects (read: total piece of junk), I'd feel fine buying one of these without playing it first. I know I'd be able to set it up to be a fine player.

(I hope that doesn't sound super-arrogant..!)

The rep of the CIJ models is pretty good. I went to GC about a year ago and tried all the Fenders. I thought the ones they had were all pretty much in the so-so to crappy range, except for a few which were outstanding. This was before I had any idea about MIM, MIA, and CIJ – I learned these designations from TalkBass.

In retrospect, I found that the only ones I really liked were the CIJ models. The experience really sold me on the CIJs. To this point, I've never played a bad Geddy.

Thanks also for the eBay tip, Pan.

~ Keef

•

7. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    I already bought a bass from Ishibashi, without playing it and have absolutely no regrets. I'd recommend Ishibashi because of the excellent service, actually the best service I've ever received. They don't have the best layout, but if you e-mail them, I'm sure you'd have no problems.

8. I think the quality of the instrument is the key issue, no matter who you buy it from. As long as it is a reputable dealer, buying a Japanese Fender shouldn't present a problem. I have owned several Japanese Fenders over the years: a P-Bass, 2 fretless Jazz Basses, 2 hardtail 50's Strats and a standard Strat and they were consistently good instruments.

9. bigbajo60

bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    I'd been wondering how best to obtain a 5 string version of my MIA 75 Jazz RI! Now I know... they're making 'em in Japan!

10. how much would it cost to ship one here?
    those are really nice prices for a fender jazzmaster, but would it all be made up in shipping?

11. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    I paid about $100 in shipping.

12. Pan

Pan Lowdown User

Aug 8, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    oops . .I forgot to mention the 2 basses I bought were both CIJ . .and alder bodied not basswood. Yup, Ishibashi guys were very helpful (Noriko I think mostly).
    The fretted I got before I knew about buying direct from guitargai and I love it. (He's actually in east coast US so shipping might be ok). Ishi didnt charge me as much in shipping for MIJ-Aus as it costs from US-Aus.
    The 5 string is a CIJ 62 style with extra pole pickups? So not a US type Jazz 5. I wonder about the 'B' string .. . ah but it;s fun.

13. mindflow

mindflow

Oct 31, 2004
    San Diego
    the 75 reissue i just got from ishibashi is KILLER i think its worth the money over a US honestly because the Quality control is almost guaranteed with japanese and they use the same parts pretty much plus you can get cool colors

14. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    PICTURES!!! WE NEED PICTURES!!! :eyebrow:

Congrats, I agree with you 100%. I feel the same about the 62 reissue fretless I got. Flawless!!

15. telekaster

telekaster

Feb 14, 2005
    San Diego